Optimizing Your Graduate Application: Importance of Early Submission

In summary, the speaker is finishing their MS in Europe and applying for a PhD in a Canadian university. The university requires 2 reference letters, one of which has already been submitted and the other is yet to be submitted. The application deadline is in September and the speaker is wondering if the timing of the submission of the reference letters affects their chances of admission. The speaker is advised to remind the second letter writer a week before the deadline.
DeathbyGreen
Hi! I have a question related to graduate (PhD admission). I am about to finish my MS in Europe and am applying to a university in Canada for my PhD. The university requires 2 reference letters. Two people have said that they will write me letters, and I can see on my application account when they are submitted. One has already submitted a letter. The second has not. Application deadline is in September. I mentioned this to the second reference and got a response along the lines of "I have until September, so I'll do it later".

But is it true that the sooner my application gets completed the better my chances for admission? Or does it not matter as long as it is submitted by the deadline? Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeathbyGreen said:
But is it true that the sooner my application gets completed the better my chances for admission?

No.

One of my letter writers submitted his letter literally five minutes before the deadline. It's stressful, but just remind him again about a week before.

1. What is the deadline for graduate school applications?

The deadline for graduate school applications varies depending on the university and program. It is important to check the specific deadline for the school and program you are interested in.

2. Can I still apply after the graduate application deadline?

In most cases, graduate schools will not accept applications after the deadline has passed. It is best to submit your application before the deadline to ensure it is considered for admission.

3. Is there an advantage to submitting my application before the deadline?

Yes, submitting your application before the deadline may give you a competitive advantage as it shows your level of interest and preparedness for the program.

4. Can I apply to multiple graduate programs with different deadlines?

Yes, you can apply to multiple graduate programs with different deadlines. However, it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively to meet all the deadlines.

5. What happens if I miss the application deadline?

If you miss the application deadline, you may have to wait until the next application cycle to apply. It is important to plan and keep track of deadlines to avoid missing them.