Graduate Now or Later? - Physics Student Needs Advice

• Thread starter tmc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graduate
In summary, the third year physics student is considering two options: graduating this winter, or graduating in two years. Option one would include completing the core physics classes at any 4-year university, as well as additional courses in algebra, differential geometry, and calculus. Option two would include more research experience and additional classes, as well as a masters or PhD in mathematics. According to the student, either option is worth pursuing, but attending graduate school sooner may be preferable.
tmc
I'm a third year physics student, and I need help with a decision. I have the core physics classes done, and some math (calc, 2 semesters of analysis, linear algebra, group theory, topology), as well as 4 months of research experience and a publication (of which I'm not the main author). My goal here is to be able to enter a top PhD program in mathematical physics.

Option 1 - Graduate this winter. I'd graduate with the core classes you'd expect from any 4-year physics degree; 2 courses in quantum mechanics, subatomic physics, E&M, thermo, etc, without much extra stuff. On top of the math mentioned above, I'd also have a bit more algebra, as well as a class on Lie groups. I would then work during the Summer doing research in algebra, and enter a masters program in mathematics, in Lie theory and mathematical physics next Fall. I would then enter a PhD program somewhere else, again in mathematical physics.

Option 2 - Graduate in 2 years. On top of everything from option 1, I would have an extra 16 months of research experience, as well as about 12 extra courses, in topics such as nuclear physics, more advanced QM, as well as manifold analysis, measure theory, more algebra (linear, abstract, lie), differential geometry/topology. Enter a masters/phd program after that, in mathematical physics.

So basically, I'm wondering if it's worth it to do those extra years of undergrad courses, getting more experience and taking a few extra classes, or if it's better to enter grad school now, and take those extra classes there. In option 1, would the university where I would apply for a PhD care about my undergrad coursework (beyond the GPA and other general details) if I already have a masters? Would they care about having an extra 16 months of undergrad research on top of a masters, as opposed to someone with just a masters?

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not in 1 year?

the way the program is setup, waiting 1 year would allow me only to take 12 extra months of research (ie, no extra classes), and if I'm going to take a year off to do research, I could just as well do it after a masters.

Which will cost more:

Catching up on the topics you could have learned as an undergrad or taking them as an undergrad and still getting some research in?

That's how I would look at this one, but what do I know I am just an undergrad myself.

My only note would be: Could you drag it out until spring quater? If so, why not take a course in differential geometry and/or the more advanced quantum? It would give you a chance to see if you are comfortable with the material...and if you are sure with the material then graduate, and if not...well I would stay.

But then again I am just an undergrad, what do I know?

Last edited:
Poop-Loops said:
Why not in 1 year?

I agree here. Why graduate in winter of year three unless finances are EXTREMELY tight and you can get paid to do research for 1.5 years until the next application process swings around? Otherwise, you ned to be applying to graduate programs NOW.

And take this to mind: Graduate admissions committees will be comparing your application to that of other students -- and most applicants have a standard four-year undergrad degree. If, in a fourth year, you can double major in math, do more research (and get another publication), etc., THEN I think you'll look like an outstanding candidate. An application coming from someone finishing early MAY get some credit, but probably not as much as extra classes and research. Also -- if things are good for your degree at your home institution, can you go collaborate at another university doing research there? THAT makes for a strong application.

1. Should I graduate now or later?

The answer to this question depends on your individual circumstances and goals. Graduating now may be beneficial if you have a job or graduate program lined up, while graduating later may give you more time to explore your options and gain additional experience.

2. Will delaying my graduation affect my career prospects?

Delaying your graduation may not necessarily affect your career prospects, as long as you use the extra time wisely. You can use this time to gain relevant experience, network, or even take additional courses to enhance your skills.

3. What factors should I consider when deciding whether to graduate now or later?

Some factors to consider when deciding whether to graduate now or later include your financial situation, career goals, job opportunities, and personal circumstances. It's important to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision that aligns with your long-term goals.

4. Will graduating now or later affect my graduate school options?

Graduating now or later may not significantly affect your graduate school options, as long as you meet the necessary requirements and have a strong academic record. However, graduating later may give you more time to strengthen your application and gain relevant experience.

5. How can I make an informed decision about whether to graduate now or later?

To make an informed decision, it's important to gather all the relevant information and weigh your options. You can speak with your academic advisor, career counselor, and other professionals in your field to get their insights and advice. You can also research job opportunities and the job market in your field to determine the best timing for your graduation.