Graduate School Funding and Program Length: What Can I Expect?

In summary, the graduate studies website of the speaker's university mentioned guaranteed funding of $18,000 for MSc students and $20,000 for PhD students. However, this does not mean that students are paid for just studying. They may also work in a research group and potentially receive an assistantship. The average time to complete an MSc was stated as 3.5 years and 5.5 years for a PhD, which may differ from the speaker's previous understanding of 2 years for MSc and 3-4 years for PhD. The speaker also notes that their experience in physics suggests a longer time frame for completing a PhD after an MSc has been completed. The speaker also mentions their own experience as a teaching
antiflag403
Hey everyone,
I was looking around the graduate studies website of my current university and came across some things that brought up questions. Wondered if you guys could help me out. First off it said that people studying for a MSc would be gaurenteed $18 000 and $20 000 for PhD. Does this mean that they pay YOU for studying? As well it said average time it took to get a MSc was 3.5 years and 5.5 for a PhD. I aways thought MSc was only 2 and Phd 3-4.
Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
No you wouldn't be paid for just studying. You'd be working in a research group and possibly also get an assistantship thrown at you.

antiflag403 said:
Does this mean that they pay YOU for studying?

Yes.

As well it said average time it took to get a MSc was 3.5 years and 5.5 for a PhD. I aways thought MSc was only 2 and Phd 3-4.
Thanks for any help!

I think 3.5 is long - 2 is more realistic. I think some MSc programmes in Canada have a time limit of 3 years, although if a student is close to finishing, this limit is often not rigidly enforced.

I think 5.5 refers to the total length of time spent in grad school, which fits your estimates. My experience for physics is that 3-5 is a better estimate for a PhD in physics after an MSc has already been completed.

Regards,
George

I T.A. for two sections of a lab for my stipend. When you think of the long hours studying, though, it doesn't come out too well in your favor. It is nice feeling like the schools investment, though.

Related to Graduate School Funding and Program Length: What Can I Expect?

What is graduate school?

Graduate school is a higher education program that allows students to pursue advanced degrees, such as a Master's or PhD, in a specific field of study.

What are the benefits of attending graduate school?

Graduate school can provide students with advanced knowledge and specialized skills in their chosen field, which can lead to better job opportunities and higher salaries. It can also provide networking opportunities and connections with professionals in the industry.

How do I choose the right graduate school?

Choosing the right graduate school involves researching and considering factors such as the program's reputation, faculty, curriculum, location, and cost. It is important to also consider your personal interests and career goals.

What are the requirements for admission to graduate school?

Requirements for admission to graduate school vary depending on the program and university. Generally, applicants must have a bachelor's degree, a good GPA, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and may also need to take standardized tests such as the GRE or GMAT.

How do I finance my graduate education?

There are various ways to finance graduate school, including scholarships, grants, fellowships, and loans. Some universities also offer teaching or research assistantships that provide funding and valuable experience. It is important to research and apply for financial aid options early on.