1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate school odds

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    I am now a senior and SUNY buffalo and a physics major, and my question is this. What are my chances of getting in to a school such as Chicago or Colombia, maybe NYU or one of the UC schools. My scores are as follows
    GPA: 3.3
    GRE Verbal: 620
    GRE Quant: 780
    GRE essay: don't have yet
    GRE Physics: haven't taken yet

Have done research with two professors at the university in solid state physics

Worked for schools computer help desk for 2 years.

An ideas as to what range of schools i should be looking at would be appreciated. Also dose anyone know if working on a masters degree first would help?

Thank you in advance for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Something like U. Chicago may be a stretch. I applied there last year, with a GPA of 3.7 at a "tier-1" undergrad program, and didn't get in. But a lot probably depends on how comfortable you are with your research experience. If you're well acquainted with some research topic (within solid state physics, I guess) and you'll be able to get a quick start working with a professor in that area at some graduate school, it should help your chances of admission there. Also, your GRE physics score is going to be reasonably important. To have a decent chance of admission at a top school like Chicago, I'd guess that you'd probably need to get a score of around, say, 930. (Maybe you can find more accurate info from the grad school itself) But of course remember that that's only one factor among several.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook