Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grandpa and Grandma age?

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Granpda and Grandma have 126 years togehter. How old is Grandma and how old is Grandpa, if Grandpa is twice older then Grandma was when Grandpa was as old as Grandma is now?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2
    Grandpa is 72 and grandma is 54. 18 years ago, he was 54 (grandma's age now) and she was 36. He is now twice that age.

4. Jul 21, 2008 #3

Borek

I had no access to internet for 80 hours and only one answer in the meantime? Too easy or too difficult? :wink:

5. Jul 21, 2008 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Too easy. I started writing an answer but jimmy beat me to it.

6. Jul 22, 2008 #5
    Too easy. This is a straight-forward algebra problem, not really a brain teaser.

7. Jul 22, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree.

P + M = 126
    P = 2 ( M - (P-M) )

2 linear equations in 2 unknowns.

8. Jul 23, 2008 #7

Borek

It can be even done with just unknown, what I was always finding difficult was not just solving, but understanding the question. But if you find it easy I can only bow to your skills :wink:

9. Jul 23, 2008 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I admit I've known a lot of people who do struggle with word problems like this. The key is translating the written language into the language of math, much like I did 2 posts ago.

In return, I'll bow to your chemistry skills and knowledge :smile: and we'll call it even.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?