Graph of wikipedia articles about physics

• Thread starter Robin04
  • Start date
Robin04
Is there something that visualizes the connection between different areas of all(/almost all) phyics? It could be easily done with wikipedia articles: every article is a point in a graph and two points are connected if there's a link (one or both ways) between them. Given this, it could help to see the big picture if one wants to read about a certain topic. Is there something like this?

Answers and Replies

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's not exactly what you asked for but, I like this diagram that shows how to get from one unit to another.

SIunitsAndRelationships.jpg

Attachments

• SIunitsAndRelationships.jpg
    SIunitsAndRelationships.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 299
Likes jedishrfu and Robin04
BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Try Hyperphysics, and don't expect too much :smile:
(physics is a pretty broad subject, you see)

I saw this, it's pretty good indeed. But I'm thinking of something more precise. Something that could be used by beginner researchers.

You could start with this and extend it into secondary fields.

Borek
Mentor
Way too often there is a significant overlap between areas to make the graph really meaningful when you try to get into details.

Happens with every science, physics is not exceptionally different.

Likes dlgoff and jedishrfu
Robin04
Way too often there is a significant overlap between areas to make the graph really meaningful when you try to get into details.

Happens with every science, physics is not exceptionally different.
Maybe those overlap could be visualized on the graph in a meaningful way? I'm just brainstorming here. Do you think this graph is a good idea? I'm a first year undergraduate student, also starting a research project, and I find it hard to see the big picture and I figured this could be helpful.

Maybe those overlap could be visualized on the graph in a meaningful way? I'm just brainstorming here. Do you think this graph is a good idea? I'm a first year undergraduate student, also starting a research project, and I find it hard to see the big picture and I figured this could be helpful.

No, this is a noble way to learn the various parts of Physics. However, to delve deeper than what is shown in the Map of Physics video is probably a waste of your valuable time. Instead I would focus on your courses and not find something that quite possibly will distract you from your primary mission.

Ultimately though you must decide and you must balance your educational needs now with your enthusiasm to do this big picture mapping. As much as it may help others you must focus on your needs and study physics more deeply.

Likes Robin04 and BvU
dipole
You could easily generate this graph yourself - wikipedia is free to download. You just have to figure out a way to define what is an isn't a physics article, which might be non-trivial.

However, I think you'll learn much more about how humans conceptualize physics then you would about physics its self.

Keith_McClary
Is there something that visualizes the connection between different areas of all(/almost all) phyics? It could be easily done with wikipedia articles: every article is a point in a graph and two points are connected if there's a link (one or both ways) between them. Given this, it could help to see the big picture if one wants to read about a certain topic. Is there something like this?
There are some here:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=graph+wikipdia+articles+connections

Suggested for: Graph of wikipedia articles about physics

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies