Finding Intercepts for y Equations: A Guide

• Thread starter JakePearson
  • Start date
Another way to find x-intercepts is to just set y=0 and then solve for x. The process is the same, but you don't need to plug in a value for y.In summary, to find the intercepts of a given equation, set one variable to 0 and solve for the other variable. Then list the resulting values as ordered pairs, with the first value representing the x-coordinate and the second value representing the y-coordinate.
JakePearson
hey guys, stuck on a few question, but dnt tell me the answer, direct me please :)

how do i find the intercepts for;

1. y = 1 / x -1
2. y = 2 / x + 1
3. y = 3 / 2x + 3

cheers guys :):)

Physics news on Phys.org
JakePearson said:
hey guys, stuck on a few question, but dnt tell me the answer, direct me please :)

how do i find the intercepts for;

1. y = 1 / x -1
2. y = 2 / x + 1
3. y = 3 / 2x + 3

cheers guys :):)

You mean the y intercept or the x intercept, or both? What does it mean for a graph to intercept an axis? What is the value of x at the y intercept(s)? What is the value of y at the x intercept(s)?

how do i find x and y intercepts

I think he means intersections of the curves

Equate equation (1) and (2)
Then (1) and (3)
Then (2) and (3)

Solve each equation individually to find all the x's and then plug them into find the y's.

Tips:
Multiply by the LCD(least common denominator).
You will probably end up with some quadratic equation.

thanks, but how do i solve them, so ur saying 4 example;

y = 3 / 2x + 3 -> y = 3(2x + 3) is that what u mean ?

Hi JakePearson! :smile:
JakePearson said:
how do i find x and y intercepts

You mean the intercepts with the x and y axes?

Those axes are y = 0 and x = 0 … soooo … you put y = 0 and solve for x, and x = 0 and solve for y. :smile:

(oh, and the answer might be ∞)

Pinu7 said:
I think he means intersections of the curves

Equate equation (1) and (2)
Then (1) and (3)
Then (2) and (3)

Solve each equation individually to find all the x's and then plug them into find the y's.

Tips:
Multiply by the LCD(least common denominator).
You will probably end up with some quadratic equation.

This isn't correct.

Also, to JakePearson, please use parentheses. Otherwise, we are guessing as to what equations you posted. Do you mean

1. y = (1/x) -1
2. y = (2/x) + 1
3. y = (3/(2x)) + 3

or

1. y = 1/(x-1)
2. y = 2/(x+1)
3. y = 3/(2x+3)

To elaborate on tiny-tim's good advice: to find the y-intercepts (the points where the curve intersects the y-axis, which is x=0), you set x=0 and then solve for y. Then those y values give you the y-intercepts, but list them as ordered pairs, i.e. (0,y) for each y value you find.

To find the x-intercepts, it's a similar process: set y=0 (which is the x-axis) and then solve for x. Now all your x-intercepts are listed as (x,0).

What are intercepts in a y equation?

Intercepts in a y equation refer to the points where the graph of the equation crosses the x-axis or the y-axis. These points represent the values of x and y where the equation has a value of 0.

How do I find intercepts for a y equation?

To find intercepts for a y equation, you can set either x or y to 0 and solve for the other variable. This will give you the intercept point on the respective axis. You can also graph the equation and visually identify the intercept points.

Why are intercepts important in math?

Intercepts are important in math because they provide valuable information about the behavior of a function. They can help determine the domain and range of a function, the symmetry of its graph, and the solutions to the equation.

What does it mean if an equation has no intercepts?

If an equation has no intercepts, it means that the graph of the equation does not intersect with either the x-axis or the y-axis. This may indicate that the equation has no real solutions or that the solutions are complex numbers.

Can an equation have more than two intercepts?

Yes, an equation can have more than two intercepts. For example, a polynomial equation of degree n can have up to n intercepts. However, some equations may have fewer intercepts or no intercepts at all.