Graph Sketching (concave)

In summary, the inflection point for f(x) is not at x=7, as it would only be between points 1, 2, and 3.
riri
Hello again :)

I am doing a question in which I have to find the mistake that is in one of these points and must change one of these criteria to make it correct. So first I am drawing a graph to get an outline of what it looks like.

-f(x) is defined on (−∞, ∞) and differentiable twice through this domain
-f(x) has critical numbers only at x =−1 and x =3
-f(−5)=0, f(0)=−2, f(1)=0
-f(x) has its only inflection point at x = 7.

I am predicting that the last point, : that the inflection point at x=7 is the wrong one? because when I sketched out the points, I plotted the critical points, and the f(-5)=0, etc, but I don't know how to draw the "twice times differntiable" part...How do I know where I should draw the graph concave up, down?

Thank you! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
riri said:
Hello again :)

I am doing a question in which I have to find the mistake that is in one of these points and must change one of these criteria to make it correct. So first I am drawing a graph to get an outline of what it looks like.

-f(x) is defined on (−∞, ∞) and differentiable twice through this domain
-f(x) has critical numbers only at x =−1 and x =3
-f(−5)=0, f(0)=−2, f(1)=0
-f(x) has its only inflection point at x = 7.

I am predicting that the last point, : that the inflection point at x=7 is the wrong one? because when I sketched out the points, I plotted the critical points, and the f(-5)=0, etc, but I don't know how to draw the "twice times differntiable" part...How do I know where I should draw the graph concave up, down?

Thank you! :D

Your prediction is correct, but you have to convince your teacher why the inflexion point doesn't fall at $x=7$.

In fact, based on what we've been told, you could first let $f(x)=a(x+5)(x-1)(x+b)$, then you can figure out what the $a$ and $b$ values are, and from there you could determine that the inflexion point is at $x=\dfrac{1}{3}$.

Hello!

Thank you for your help!
Oh I see! After I drew the graph, I understood that the inflection point is near x=1.
What I'm confused on is how I can find the values of a and b using that equation you wrote?
I tried to expand it, but it clearly got more weird and long so if you could help me with this that would be great

Thank you!

We're given that $f(x)$ has critical numbers only at $x =−1$ and $x =3$, that means $f'(-1)=0$ and $f'(3)=0$, see if you could use that to figure out the values for both $a$ and $b$, okay? :D

Edit:

I didn't realized until now that the values for both $a$ and $b$ (that I have found above) wouldn't give us back $f(0)=-2$.

Upon re-reading the given information I have to say this problem is not that well-structured...

Thanks to greg1313 for letting me know there is something wrong about my solution. :D

Hello! Thank you :)

So basically that inflection point at x=1/3 you proposed can't be true is what you're saying, right?
After I looked at the problem and thought about it more I guess for this problem, it's not possible to give a direct inflection point, just what it should be between...I think?

1. f(x) is defined on (−∞, ∞) and differentiable twice through this domain
2. f(x) has critical numbers only at x =−1 and x =3
3. f(−5)=0, f(0)=−2, f(1)=0
4. f(x) has its only inflection point at x = 7.

Assume f(x) is cubic. Assume points 1, 2 and 3 are true and 4 is false (which it must be if f(x) is a cubic as any inflection point must lie between the critical numbers).

Now we need to justify our assumption that f(x) is cubic under conditions 2 and 3:

$$a(x+5)(x-1)(x-b)=0$$
$$a(x^2+4x-5)(x-b)=0$$
$$a(x^3+4x^2-5x-bx^2-4bx+5b)=0$$
$$ax^3+a(4-b)x^2-a(5+4b)x+5ab=0$$
$$5ab=-2\implies ab=-\dfrac25$$
$$f'(x)=3ax^2+2a(4-b)x-a(5+4b)$$
$$f'(-1)=3a-8a+2ab-5a-4ab=0\quad(*)$$
$$f'(3)=27a+24a-6ab-5a-4ab=0\quad(**)$$
The two equations $(*)$ and $(**)$ have no simultaneous solution other than $a=0$, so $f(x)$ cannot be a cubic under conditions 2 and 3.

Have you typed the problem correctly?

1. What is a concave graph and how is it different from a convex graph?

A concave graph is a type of curve that is shaped like a bowl or a cup. It is characterized by having a downward slope or a negative curvature. In contrast, a convex graph has an upward slope or a positive curvature.

2. How do you determine if a graph is concave or convex?

To determine if a graph is concave or convex, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive at a point, the graph is convex, and if it is negative, the graph is concave.

3. What are the main features of a concave graph?

The main features of a concave graph include a downward slope, a curved shape, and a maximum point at the vertex. It also has a tangent line that is below the curve at every point.

4. Can a graph be both concave and convex?

No, a graph cannot be both concave and convex at the same time. It can either be concave or convex, depending on the curvature of the graph.

5. How is concavity used in real-world applications?

Concavity is often used in economics and finance to model and analyze various curves, such as demand and supply curves, cost curves, and utility curves. It is also used in engineering and physics to study the shape and stability of structures and the path of moving objects.