Graphene-Epoxy XRD: Investigating Dispersion Results

• Thread starter willogrady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Xrd
In summary, the speaker is trying to determine the dispersion of graphene nanoplatelets in epoxy resin through plasma functionalisation. They have performed XRD on a sample containing 1.0 wt% of graphene-epoxy and neat epoxy, but as this is their first time using XRD, they are unsure of the conclusions that can be drawn. They suspect that the sharp peaks may indicate the presence of undispersed graphene oligomers. They are seeking help to confirm their suspicions.
willogrady
I'm trying to find out how well graphene nanoplatelets have dispersed into epoxy resin through plasma functionalisation. I've performed XRD upon a sample containing 1.0 wt% of graphene-epoxy and of neat epoxy. This is the first time I've used XRD so I'm unsure what conclusions can be drawn, I suspect that the sharp peaks are showing oligomers of undispersed graphene. Any help would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• XRD.JPG
    XRD.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 1,080
Engineering news on Phys.org
willogrady said:
I'm trying to find out how well graphene nanoplatelets have dispersed into epoxy resin through plasma functionalisation. I've performed XRD upon a sample containing 1.0 wt% of graphene-epoxy and of neat epoxy. This is the first time I've used XRD so I'm unsure what conclusions can be drawn, I suspect that the sharp peaks are showing oligomers of undispersed graphene. Any help would be really appreciated.

willogrady, I think in your sample you have a sample with epoxy + graphene and graphite also. The sharp peak may be related to graphite, where the broad shoulder is related to the amorphous characteristic of your sample.

1. What is graphene-epoxy XRD?

Graphene-epoxy XRD is a technique used to investigate the dispersion of graphene in epoxy composites. XRD stands for X-ray diffraction, which is a method that uses X-rays to determine the atomic and molecular structure of materials.

2. How does graphene improve the properties of epoxy composites?

Graphene is a two-dimensional material with exceptional mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties. When added to epoxy composites, it can enhance their strength, stiffness, and thermal conductivity, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.

3. What is the role of XRD in investigating dispersion results?

XRD is used to analyze the atomic and molecular structure of materials, including the dispersion of graphene in epoxy composites. This technique can provide information on the degree of dispersion, the orientation of graphene sheets, and the presence of any defects or impurities.

4. What are some challenges in using graphene-epoxy XRD for dispersion analysis?

One of the main challenges in using graphene-epoxy XRD is the difficulty in distinguishing the diffraction peaks of graphene from those of the epoxy matrix. This requires careful sample preparation and data analysis techniques to accurately determine the dispersion results.

5. What are the potential applications of graphene-epoxy XRD?

Graphene-epoxy XRD can be used in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and electronics. It can help researchers and engineers optimize the dispersion of graphene in epoxy composites to improve the performance of these materials in different applications.

Back