1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing (x^2)y + 3y^2 = 5x + 9 or the like?

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey everyone. I have a mathematics exam coming up, and im always used to checking my answers using an alternative method. We have differentiation questions and i normally check them by graphing the equation on my calc and then graphing my calculated differential equation and see if the slope of the original function at any x-value (my calculator can calculate slopes) is the same as the y-value for my differential equation.

My problem is, sometimes there are equations such as these: x2y + 3y2 = 5x + 9 which i cant graph because they have the y^2 and another y which isnt squared. My question is, does anybody know a way around this?

2. Relevant equations

x2y + 3y2 = 5x + 9

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea, i looked online but i didn't know what to google, so all the things that came up were just irrelevant.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Solve it as a quadratic equation for y.

ehild

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3
    How do you do that? It has an x in it... Can you show me how? Thanks

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The solution(s) of the quadratic equation will be functions of x.

[itex]3 y^2+(x^2)y-(5x+9)=0[/itex]

[itex]y_1=\frac{-(x^2)+\sqrt{x^4+12(5x+9)}}{6}[/itex]

[itex]y_2=\frac{-(x^2)-\sqrt{x^4+12(5x+9)}}{6}[/itex]

ehild

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5

Yeah, I gotta' way around this but you may not like my answer. It is however I feel the best approach to solving your dilemma: time to step into the 21st century and do away with that calculator and begin using Mathematica then just ContourPlot it:

Code (Text):

ContourPlot[x^2 y + 3 y^2 == 5 x + 9, {x, -15, 15}, {y, -15, 15}]

Now I understand you need the algebra practice solving them manually but eventually you run into one you can't like:

[tex] x^5 y^4 + 3 y^3 x == 5 x^3 y^3 + 9[/tex]

and that one too can be plotted nicely via ContourPlot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook