Graphing (x^2)y + 3y^2 = 5x + 9 or the like?

• Thread starter nousername
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary: RegionPlot using MeshFunctions if you wanted to get fancy.In summary, the speaker is seeking help with checking their answers on a mathematics exam by using an alternative method involving graphing equations. However, they are unsure of how to graph certain equations that include non-squared variables. They are asking for a way around this issue and are open to any help. One solution suggested is solving the equations as quadratic equations for y and using Mathematica to plot the results. The speaker is also open to other suggestions and acknowledges the need for algebra practice but recognizes the limitations of manual solving for more complex equations.
nousername

Homework Statement

Hey everyone. I have a mathematics exam coming up, and I am always used to checking my answers using an alternative method. We have differentiation questions and i normally check them by graphing the equation on my calc and then graphing my calculated differential equation and see if the slope of the original function at any x-value (my calculator can calculate slopes) is the same as the y-value for my differential equation.

My problem is, sometimes there are equations such as these: x2y + 3y2 = 5x + 9 which i can't graph because they have the y^2 and another y which isn't squared. My question is, does anybody know a way around this?

Homework Equations

x2y + 3y2 = 5x + 9

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea, i looked online but i didn't know what to google, so all the things that came up were just irrelevant.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve it as a quadratic equation for y.

ehild

How do you do that? It has an x in it... Can you show me how? Thanks

The solution(s) of the quadratic equation will be functions of x.

[itex]3 y^2+(x^2)y-(5x+9)=0[/itex]

[itex]y_1=\frac{-(x^2)+\sqrt{x^4+12(5x+9)}}{6}[/itex]

[itex]y_2=\frac{-(x^2)-\sqrt{x^4+12(5x+9)}}{6}[/itex]

ehild

nousername said:
My question is, does anybody know a way around this?

[Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Yeah, I gotta' way around this but you may not like my answer. It is however I feel the best approach to solving your dilemma: time to step into the 21st century and do away with that calculator and begin using Mathematica then just ContourPlot it:

Code:
ContourPlot[x^2 y + 3 y^2 == 5 x + 9, {x, -15, 15}, {y, -15, 15}]

Now I understand you need the algebra practice solving them manually but eventually you run into one you can't like:

[tex] x^5 y^4 + 3 y^3 x == 5 x^3 y^3 + 9[/tex]

and that one too can be plotted nicely via ContourPlot

1. What is the purpose of graphing (x^2)y + 3y^2 = 5x + 9 or the like?

The purpose of graphing (x^2)y + 3y^2 = 5x + 9 or the like is to visually represent the relationship between two variables, x and y, in an equation. By plotting points on a graph, we can see how changes in one variable affect the other.

2. How do you determine the coordinates for plotting on a graph for this equation?

To determine the coordinates for plotting on a graph for this equation, you can choose values for one variable and then solve for the other. For example, you can choose values for x and then solve for y to get the corresponding points (x,y) for plotting.

3. What shape does the graph of (x^2)y + 3y^2 = 5x + 9 or the like create?

The graph of (x^2)y + 3y^2 = 5x + 9 or the like will create a curve, specifically a parabola. This is because the equation contains squared terms and the graph will have a symmetric, U-shaped curve.

4. Are there any special features or points on the graph for this equation?

Yes, there are special points on the graph for this equation. These include the vertex, which is the point where the parabola turns, and the x-intercept and y-intercept, which are the points where the graph intersects the x-axis and y-axis, respectively.

5. Can you use technology to graph (x^2)y + 3y^2 = 5x + 9 or the like?

Yes, you can use graphing calculators or software programs to graph (x^2)y + 3y^2 = 5x + 9 or the like. These tools can quickly plot multiple points and create a visual representation of the equation. They can also allow you to adjust the window or zoom in on specific areas of the graph for a better understanding of the curve.