Graphs of functions of several variables

In summary: I meant that z=x^2=y^2 is always a parabola on the plane y=x.In summary, Christianjb is trying to figure out how the curve of intersection of the plane y=x with the graph z=xy would look like. He is not understanding what the advance or linear means.
kingwinner
Consider the graph of z=xy.

Choose the section y=x, i.e. intersect the plane y=x with the graph z=xy, I get z=(x)(x)=x^2, with y=x. Now is this a parabola? (note that the curve actually lies on the plane y=x)
If so, why?
Also, is this parabola going to have exactly the same shape as the one parallel to the x-axis?(i.e. z=x^2, y=0)
How is the graph of z=xy going to look like?

I spent an hour thinking of these, but still can't figure it out...

Can someone please help me? I seem to be skewing up geometrically. I can't understand geometry like this...this is driving me crazy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
z=0 along the x and y axes. As you've noticed along the line y=x, the cross section is parabolic with z positive. Along x=-y it's parabolic with z negative. To picture it just think of z as height above (or below) the xy plane. I'm not sure exactly what the question is beyond that.

Last edited:
Also think about symmetries. What happens to the product in each quadrant of the xy-plane? What happens if you change the sign of either x or y?

How does the product behave as either variable or both approach zero? approach infinity?

Say if we consider the xz-plane only, then z=x^2 is surely a parabola (*).

But on the plane y=x, is z=x^2 going to be the projection of the above parabola (*) on the plane y=x? If this is the case, then this curve and the above parabola (*) won't be the same, right? Would it even look like a parabola at all?

or

On the plane y=x, is z=x^2, imagine revolving the parabola (*) until we hit the plane y=x, and then take the intersection of this curve (same shape as parabola (*) ) with the plane y=x, is this the curve of intersection of the plane y=x with the graph z=xy? If this is the case, then certainly this curve and the above parabola (*) have the same shape.

Last edited:
Nooooo. It's not a surface of revolution. In the xz (that's y=0) plane it's zero. Look at your equation.

Last edited:
kingwinner said:
Say if we consider the xz-plane only, then z=x^2 is surely a parabola (*).

To be on the xz-plane, wouldn't y have to be zero?

But on the plane y=x, is z=x^2 going to be the projection of the above parabola (*) on the plane y=x?

It will be z = x^2 = y^2. Since both advance linearly along that plane, z would follow a parabolic curve.

What would happen on the yz-plane? on the plane y = -x ?

While we're about it, what would the equation look like on the plane y = kx , k real?

z=xy=[(x+y)^2-(x-y)^2]/4

change coordinates x'=x+y, y'=x-y

z=(x'^2-y'^2)/4

Dick said:
Nooooo. It's not a surface of revolution. In the xz (that's y=0) plane it's zero. Look at your equation.

Sorry, but I didn't mean the surface...

I actually mean:
On the plane y=x, is z=x^2, imagine revolving the parabola (*) until we hit the plane y=x, and then take the intersection of this curve (same shape as parabola (*) ) with the plane y=x, is this the curve of intersection of the plane y=x with the graph z=xy?

dynamicsolo said:
To be on the xz-plane, wouldn't y have to be zero?

Sure.

It will be z = x^2 = y^2. Since both advance linearly along that plane, z would follow a parabolic curve.

Why?
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by advancing linearly along plane...

christianjb said:
z=xy=[(x+y)^2-(x-y)^2]/4

change coordinates x'=x+y, y'=x-y

z=(x'^2-y'^2)/4

What does this imply? I can't see what this is heading into...sorry

KW-

Since z=(x'^2-y'^2)/4

where x'=x+y, y'=x-y

It shows that z can be written as a parabolic along directions x' and y', which are at right angles. Note that the x' axis is the diagonal between the x and y axes and y' is between the x and -y directions.

It's a lot easier to sketch the function doing it this way. Try sketching it in the x' y' axes using z=(x'^2-y'^2)/4 and then draw in the x y axes, where x=(x'+y') /2, y=(x'-y')/2

OK, I see what you are saying now, it's graph is a hyperbolic paraboloid.

But, I am still not understanding how the intersection of the plane y=x with the graph z=xy would look like...

kingwinner said:
OK, I see what you are saying now, it's graph is a hyperbolic paraboloid.

But, I am still not understanding how the intersection of the plane y=x with the graph z=xy would look like...

Quote:
Why?
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by advancing linearly along plane...

When I was saying here is what christianjb is referring to by rotating the coordinate system 45º: on the line y = x, x and y advance at the same constant rate (what I meant by 'advancing linearly' -- I'm sorry if that wasn't the best choice of words). Since y = x,
whichever coordinate you look at, the value of z increases quadratically. So the cross-section of the surface z = xy on that plane is an upward-facing parabola starting from z = 0 at the origin. That parabola is z = x^2 or z = y^2 .

If you choose a different cross-section using y = kx , you get z = x·(kx) = k·x^2 , which is just a parabola starting at z = 0 at the origin and growing at a different rate. All the cross-sections made by vertical planes rotated at various angles to the x-axis are parabolas, including the "degenerate" parabola z = 0 on the yz-plane.

The exception is that there is a "break" on the xz-plane, where the vertical plane is now perpendicular to the second and fourth quadrants of the xy-plane, corresponding to k < 0. The product abruptly switches from being positive to negative on either side of the xz-plane, with the cross-section again being "degenerate" for y = 0.

1. What is a graph of a function of several variables?

A graph of a function of several variables is a visual representation of how a function changes with respect to multiple input variables. It is a collection of points in a multi-dimensional space, where each point represents a specific input combination and the corresponding output value of the function.

2. How are graphs of functions of several variables different from graphs of functions of one variable?

Graphs of functions of one variable, also known as 2D graphs, only have two axes (x and y) and show the relationship between one input variable and the output variable. Graphs of functions of several variables, on the other hand, have multiple axes (x, y, z, etc.) and show the relationship between multiple input variables and the output variable.

3. What is the purpose of using graphs of functions of several variables?

Graphs of functions of several variables help us visualize and understand the behavior of a function in a multi-dimensional space. They can also be used to identify patterns and relationships between the input variables and the output variable, and to make predictions about the behavior of the function for different input combinations.

4. How can we interpret a graph of a function of several variables?

The shape of a graph of a function of several variables can provide information about the nature of the function. For example, a flat graph may indicate a constant function, while a steep graph may indicate a highly variable function. The direction and steepness of the graph at a specific point can also indicate the slope of the function at that point.

5. What are some common types of graphs used for functions of several variables?

Some common types of graphs used for functions of several variables include contour plots, surface plots, and vector plots. Contour plots show the level curves of the function, surface plots show the function as a 3D surface, and vector plots show the direction and magnitude of the function's gradient at various points.