Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible complex angles with no imaginary periodicity

1. Jun 3, 2014 #1
    Trying the already known equation, sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 i wondered what would happen
    if i took that either sin(x) or cos(x) squared equalled a number greater than 1, so when i plugged in sin(x) as 5/3 i got cos(x) 4i/3 ,
    went to euler's equation and added the results,
    then put the aggregate to the logarithm and got
    angle = 2kp + pi/2 ± 1.0986i. Solving for cos(x) as well i got an imaginary angle equal to
    angle = ±1.0986i,
    but as i went on having the number grow larger, the imaginary part would grow proportionately. Now, based on the results i got, i saw such angles only poccessed periodicity on the real, unchanged, part whereas the imaginary ones poccessed none. The plus or minus part was due to the fact that for 1 possible cosine (or sine), the resulting sine (or cosine) was either positive or negative, on the equation
    sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1

I don't know if this is wrong but it yields an interesting result that might be telling something about a different, outside the usual trigonometry approach. However, seeing as i treated cosine and sine as continuous functions, and knowing that they can be used only to satisfy an equation, just numerically, i might be wrong, but based on the modification on the exponential function by euler,
    e^x = cosh(x) + sinh(x) converted to e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x) i did the inverse, and got that for imaginary angles, cos(x) becomes cosh(x) and sin(x) becomes i*sinh(x), based on an approach
    by the taylor series.

Also by using the trigonometrical identities sin(x+y) and cos(x+y) i got that
    sin(x+iy) = sin(x)cosh(y) + i*cos(x)sinh(y) and
    cos(x+iy) = cos(x)cosh(x) - i*sin(x)sinh(y) which in fact do satisfy the equation i did.
    Could there really be such angles? Could this approach be right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The term angle usually means a real number. However sin(z) or cos(z) where z is a complex number is a well defined function. When z is purely imaginary, then hyperbolic functions will be equivalent.

cos(ix) = cosh(x), sin(ix) = isinh(x)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook