Gravitational attraction of a hemisphere at its pole

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the gravitational attraction of a solid hemisphere with a radius of a and density of 1 on a unit point mass placed at its pole. The speaker suggests using spherical coordinates and inverting the hemisphere to make the pole the origin. They also suggest splitting the upside down quarter disc into two integrals and provide an integral setup for a cone shaped figure. However, the speaker is unsure of how to find the equation for the lower circular bound and is seeking help. They also mention exploiting symmetry to find the field at a perpendicular distance from a disk. The other speaker suggests orienting the hemisphere's axis as the z axis and slicing it into disks to find the biggest disk, but the first speaker may have a limit incorrect
ozone
Find the gravitational attraction of a solid hemisphere of radius a anddensity1 on a unit point mass placed at its pole.

My attempt:

Obviously I figured that spherical coordinates would work nicely for this problem.

I decided to invert the hemisphere thus placing the pole on the origin. Then I decided to split the upside down quarter disc into two integrals. The first integral was then for a cone shaped figure (r1 in the picture i made).

I set it up as follows

[itex] G \int_{\vartheta=0}^{2\pi} \int_{
\varphi=0}^{\pi/3}\int_{\rho=0}^{a/sin(\phi)} sin(\phi)cos(\phi)d\phi d\rho d\theta[/itex]

Plz let me know if i have made any mistakes with the above integrand (pi/3 is where a cone will intersect a circle of equal radius).

However I could not manage to think up the equation (in spherical coordinates) for the lower circular bound. I considered changing coordinate systems for the outer spherical part but setting up the equation for force of gravity might have been tricky. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
well it would be given as the field due to the total mass within a gaussian surface through the point as if all that mass were concentrated at the center of mass.

Note: you can make your life easier by exploiting the symmetry even further - can you find the field at a perpendicular distance r from a disk radius R and thickness dz?

Simon Bridge said:
well it would be given as the field due to the total mass within a gaussian surface through the point as if all that mass were concentrated at the center of mass.

Note: you can make your life easier by exploiting the symmetry even further - can you find the field at a perpendicular distance r from a disk radius R and thickness dz?

Yes I could but were looking for the gravitational attraction on the surface of the pole since that is where the unit mass is placed, or am i misinterpreting you?

You sort-of have ... if you orient the hemesphere so it's axis is the z axis, and slice it into disks thickness dz, then the biggest disk (the base) will be distance R from the test mass.

I just have a feeling you've not got one of the limits right ... one of the advantages of the slice method is that you can conceptually check each stage. Still - run with what you are comfy with ;)

What is gravitational attraction?

Gravitational attraction is the force of attraction between two objects due to their masses. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational attraction.

How does gravitational attraction work on a hemisphere at its pole?

In a hemisphere at its pole, the gravitational attraction is strongest at the center and decreases towards the edges. This is because the mass is concentrated at the center, causing a greater gravitational pull.

What factors affect the gravitational attraction of a hemisphere at its pole?

The gravitational attraction of a hemisphere at its pole is affected by the mass of the hemisphere, the distance from the center of the hemisphere, and the mass of the other object it is interacting with.

Can the gravitational attraction of a hemisphere at its pole be measured?

Yes, the gravitational attraction of a hemisphere at its pole can be measured using the gravitational constant, the mass of the hemisphere, and the distance from the center of the hemisphere to the other object. This calculation can give an estimate of the gravitational attraction between the two objects.

How does the gravitational attraction of a hemisphere at its pole compare to other shapes?

The gravitational attraction of a hemisphere at its pole is stronger than that of a flat disk or a cone at its apex. This is because a hemisphere has more mass concentrated at its center, resulting in a stronger gravitational pull.