Gravitational Fields and Satellite Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the length of Mercury's year based on the mean radius of its orbit and the length of Earth's year. The conversation includes equations and attempts at finding the answer, but the teacher's answer of 0.24 years causes frustration and confusion. The final answer is found to be 0.23985 Earth years.
Cilabitaon

Homework Statement

The Earth's orbit is of mean radius [tex]1.50*10^{11}m[/tex] and the Earth's year is 365 days long.

The mean radius of orbit of Mercury is [tex]5.79*10^{10}m[/tex]. Calculate the length of Mercury's year.

Homework Equations

[tex]F=\frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/tex]

[tex]F=\frac{Gm_{1}m_{2}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]d=v \cdot t[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]v = \frac{d}{t} = \frac{2 \pi r}{t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{mv^{2}}{r} = \frac{Gm_{1}m_{2}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]v^{2} = \frac{Gm}{r}[/tex]

subbing in [tex]v = \frac{2 \pi r}{t}[/tex] we get

[tex](\frac{2 \pi r }{t})^{2} = \frac{Gm}{r}[/tex]

by expanding;

[tex] \frac{4 \pi^{2}r^{2}}{t^{2}} = \frac{Gm}{r}[/tex]

through rearranging this we can get the formula;

[tex]\frac{r^{3}}{t^{2}} = \frac{Gm}{4 \pi^{2}}[/tex]

and since [tex]\frac{Gm}{4 \pi^{2}}[/tex] is constant for all planets (as m is the mass of the Sun) then we can assume;

[tex]\frac{R_{E}^{3}}{T_{E}^{2}} = {R_{M}^{3}}{T_{M}^{2}}[/tex]

where [tex]R_{E} , T_{E}[/tex] and [tex]R_{M} , T_{M}[/tex] are the radius of orbit and the time period of orbit of Mercury and Earth around the Sun; respectively.

Now, to find [tex]T_{M}[/tex] seems simple enough, as I am given the constants I need.

[tex]T_{M}^{2} = \frac{T_{E}^{2}}{R_{E}^{3}} \cdot R_{M}[/tex]

This gives me an answer of;

[tex]T_{M}^{2} = \frac{(365 * 86400)^{2}}{(1.50*10^{11})^{3}} \cdot (5.79*10^{10})^{3} [/tex]

I then find [tex]T_{M}[/tex] to be [tex]7.564*10^{6}s[/tex]; whereas my teacher seems to think this is wrong, and gave me 2/7 marks for this: he got his answer to 0.24...please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
He got his answer to be 0.24 what? To see if you are right, look up the orbital period of Mercury (usually given in days) and convert to seconds. It's as easy as that.

kuruman said:
He got his answer to be 0.24 what? To see if you are right, look up the orbital period of Mercury (usually given in days) and convert to seconds. It's as easy as that.

Yep, he gets his answer to be 0.24, and no matter what I try I can't seem to get his answer, every conversion just fails for me =[

Can you please tell me, what the units of this 0.24 are?

kuruman said:
Can you please tell me, what the units of this 0.24 are?
That's the point, he's so anal about not doing any work for us; he always says "In order to understand the problem you must be utterly baffled beforehand"; so he just says "you should have 0.240" and leaves it at that.

edit:

I am going to kill both myself and my Prof.

The units are years.

[tex]\frac{7.564 \times 10^{6}}{(3600 \times 24 \times 365)} = 0.23985 Earth years[/tex]

I understand your frustration and anger and I think that both feelings are not conducive to learning. However, I think that your teacher is trying to "baffle" you in an inappropriate manner. In my book, any number should be followed by the appropriate units. Conversely, if I ask someone to find a number, if the number is correct and the units are correct, then the answer is correct. I wish you fortitude, humor the guy and this too shall pass.

kuruman said:
I understand your frustration and anger and I think that both feelings are not conducive to learning. However, I think that your teacher is trying to "baffle" you in an inappropriate manner. In my book, any number should be followed by the appropriate units. Conversely, if I ask someone to find a number, if the number is correct and the units are correct, then the answer is correct. I wish you fortitude, humor the guy and this too shall pass.

Or I could just kick his ***.

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region in space where a mass experiences a force due to the presence of another mass. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is responsible for the phenomenon of gravity.

2. How does the strength of a gravitational field change with distance?

The strength of a gravitational field decreases with distance from the source of the field. This relationship follows the inverse-square law, which states that the strength of the field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two masses.

3. How does a satellite stay in orbit around a planet?

Satellites stay in orbit around a planet due to the balance between the gravitational pull of the planet and the satellite's own inertia. This causes the satellite to constantly fall towards the planet, but its high velocity keeps it from crashing into the surface.

4. How is the motion of a satellite affected by the mass of the planet?

The mass of the planet affects the motion of a satellite by determining the strength of the planet's gravitational field. A more massive planet will have a stronger gravitational pull, which will require a higher velocity for a satellite to maintain its orbit.

5. What factors can affect the orbit of a satellite?

The orbit of a satellite can be affected by factors such as the mass of the planet it is orbiting, the altitude of the orbit, the shape and size of the orbit, and external forces such as atmospheric drag. Changes in any of these factors can cause a satellite's orbit to change over time.