Gravitational Fields: Same or Different?

In summary, Birkhoff's theorem states that in the absence of a sense of scale, the gravitational fields of large objects will be indistinguishable. This is because the exterior field of a spherically symmetric object is the same. This may require reducing the object to its Schwarzschild radius in order to see the difference.
Shaw
In the absence of a sense of scale, will the gravitational fields of large objects be indistinguishable, one from the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, in the case of the exterior field of a spherically symmetric object. This is Birkhoff's theorem.

Can we therefore conclude that the amount of time needed for a test object (suitable to the size of the object) to fall through a gravitational field will be the same? This may require reducing the object to its Schwarzschild radius.

Shaw said:
In the absence of a sense of scale, will the gravitational fields of large objects be indistinguishable, one from the other?
Shaw said:
Can we therefore conclude that the amount of time needed for a test object (suitable to the size of the object) to fall through a gravitational field will be the same?
In the absence of a sense of time, it would take the same time.
But I'm not sure I follow your logic.

SlowThinker said:
In the absence of a sense of time, it would take the same time.
But I'm not sure I follow your logic.
A test object in a weak gravitational field will fall through the field to the Schwarzschild radius more slowly than a test object in a strong field, but an object in a strong field has further to fall. Intuitively, I think that it's a wash, and all appropriate test objects in all fields will take the same amount of time to reach the Schwarzschild radius. They all arrive at the radius at the same time.

Shaw said:
A test object in a weak gravitational field will fall through the field to the Schwarzschild radius more slowly than a test object in a strong field, but an object in a strong field has further to fall. Intuitively, I think that it's a wash, and all appropriate test objects in all fields will take the same amount of time to reach the Schwarzschild radius. They all arrive at the radius at the same time.
A gravitational field has no end. If you fall from a given distance, then a heavier object will attract you faster, and you'll have (a bit) shorter distance to fall.
If you carefully select the starting distance, the falling time will be the same. In Newtonian mechanics, you'd have to move 2x farther for an 8x heavier planet. In GR, it should be pretty close to the Newtonian result but I haven't done that calculation.

Thanks for this. I take it that this means that while Birkhoff's Theorum states that all gravitational fields look the same, when a sense of scale is missing we can tell one field from another by dropping test masses from, say, a point where the gravitational force is 1% of its value at the Schwarzschild radius, and the test masses will arrive at the radius at different times.

Related to Gravitational Fields: Same or Different?

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is an invisible force field that surrounds a massive object, such as a planet or a star. It is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass.

2. How is a gravitational field created?

A gravitational field is created by the presence of mass. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational field will be.

3. Are all gravitational fields the same?

No, gravitational fields can vary in strength depending on the mass and distance of the objects involved. The closer two objects are, the stronger the gravitational field between them will be.

4. Can gravitational fields cancel each other out?

Yes, gravitational fields can cancel each other out if the forces are equal and opposite. This is known as gravitational equilibrium.

5. How do gravitational fields affect the motion of objects?

Gravitational fields affect the motion of objects by exerting a force on them. This force, called gravity, causes objects to accelerate towards the center of the gravitational field. The strength of the gravitational field will determine the speed and direction of the object's motion.