Gravitational Influence of Stars in a Galaxy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the shell theorem and its application to spherical bodies with uniform density. The theorem states that for any spherical body, the gravitational attraction experienced by a test particle is only dependent on the mass inside the shell defined by the radius from the center, regardless of the distribution of matter outside the shell. The conversation also touches on the limitations of the shell theorem, particularly in non-spherical bodies such as galaxies or bodies with varying density. Additionally, the conversation mentions the use of the shell theorem in explaining the precession of Mercury and its limitations in non-relativistic situations.
Bruce Williams
Can anyone tell me where I can find an explanation that only the gravity of the stars inside the orbit of your star is important in a galaxy? Someone told me this and the integration of gravitational effects I did seems to disagree so I wanted to look at what has already been done.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That is simply one example of the fact that for ANY spherical body with uniform distribution of matter, the matter outside (not inside as you stated) the sphere defined with you as a radius from the center is irrelevant to the gravitational attraction you feel from the body.

Have you studied calculus?

Assuming a spherical homogenous earth. If I drill down 1/2 radius (3,189KM),then the radius from the center is 1/2 what it was, and the mass with this radius (4/3 pi r^3) is 1/8 what it was at the surface and I should feel 1/8g pull towards the center?

Bruce Williams said:
Assuming a spherical homogenous earth. If I drill down 1/2 radius (3,189KM),then the radius from the center is 1/2 what it was, and the mass with this radius (4/3 pi r^3) is 1/8 what it was at the surface and I should feel 1/8g pull towards the center?
Yep, and when you get to the center, you'll be weightless (and not just because you'll have burned to a cinder :smile:)

This does not seem correct. Do you have a reference book that goes through the math involved? Or do you know the math involved?

Bruce Williams said:
This does not seem correct. Do you have a reference book that goes through the math involved? Or do you know the math involved?
No, I learned this (with the math) almost 50 years ago but these days I can hardly add 2+2. I'm sure one of our members can give you a good reference.

Bruce Williams said:
phinds said:
Yep, and when you get to the center, you'll be weightless (and not just because you'll have burned to a cinder :smile:)
That is not correct!

You'll feel 1/2g at half the radius. While there's less mass pulling you in, you are also 2 times closer to the centre of the field, which makes the acceleration 4 times as strong (the inverse square law in the law of gravity).
In a uniform, ideally symmetric sphere, the strength of gravitational acceleration a test particle experiences goes down linearly with radius as you descend beneath the surface.

The maths here rely on the 'shell theorem', in two ways (Wikipedia and hyperphysics cover it well):
- so that all the mass below a certain radius can be treated as concentrated in the centre of the sphere of that radius
- so that all the mass above a certain radius can be disregarded as contributing nothing to the acceleration of a test particle below

Bruce Williams said:
Can anyone tell me where I can find an explanation that only the gravity of the stars inside the orbit of your star is important in a galaxy?
The applicability of the shell theorem to galaxies is valid only as an approximation (e.g. when you can treat all mass of a galaxy as concentrated in the bulge; often used as the first approximation in introductory texts), since it does not hold for disc-shaped distributions of mass.
You can find more details about the mathematics of gravity in a disc here:
http://applet-magic.com/gravdisk2.htm

I should add that there is some overlap between the applicability and non-applicability:
- in the bulge the shell theorem can be said to hold
- in the disc it doesn't hold
- the spherical distribution of dark matter again lends itself to

Last edited:
Likes mfb
Bandersnatch, you are saying that you are NOT weightless at the center of the Earth?

No, I'm saying at 1/2 the radius the pull is not 1/8g. I was objecting to your confirming the OP's error, not to the latter part of your post.

Bandersnatch said:
No, I'm saying at 1/2 the radius the pull is not 1/8g. I was objecting to your confirming the OP's error, not to the latter part of your post.
Fair enough. It's just that your quote made it seem as though you were specifically saying weightless at center is incorrect.

phinds said:
That is simply one example of the fact that for ANY spherical body with uniform distribution of matter, the matter outside (not inside as you stated) the sphere defined with you as a radius from the center is irrelevant to the gravitational attraction you feel from the body.
The shell theorem applies to spherical bodies with any spherical mass distribution (density is a function of radial distance only), not just a uniform mass distribution.

It does not apply to two dimensional disks in three dimensional space.

One of the early successes of general relativity was fully explaining the precession of Mercury. Newtonian mechanics explains over 90% of Mercury's observed precession rate. One way of modeling that non-relativistic precession is to replace Jupiter, Venus, and the Earth with rings of material of the same masses as those planets, and located at the same distances from the Sun as are the planets. There would be no effect on Mercury from those rings if the shell theorem truly did apply. It doesn't apply; there is a small perturbative effect.

Nonetheless, the effect is small, and acts primarily to cause an elliptical orbit to precess. There is very little effect on circular orbits. That the effects are small is what let's one ignore the stars that orbit in the galactic disk outside of some star.

Likes mfb
D H said:
The shell theorem applies to spherical bodies with any spherical mass distribution (density is a function of radial distance only), not just a uniform mass distribution.
Just to be sure I'm getting this correctly, you are saying that, for example, a body that has spheres of varying density would not have uniform density at the scale of the whole body but the shell theorem would still give the same result. That makes sense, I just hadn't thought about it that way.

1. What is the gravitational influence of stars in a galaxy?

The gravitational influence of stars in a galaxy refers to the force that stars exert on each other due to their mass and distance from each other. This force is responsible for keeping the stars in their orbits within the galaxy.

2. How does the gravitational influence of stars affect the structure of a galaxy?

The gravitational influence of stars plays a crucial role in determining the shape and structure of a galaxy. The distribution of stars and their movements within the galaxy are influenced by the gravitational pull of other stars, resulting in different types of galaxies such as spiral, elliptical, and irregular.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of a galaxy and its gravitational influence?

The mass of a galaxy has a direct correlation with its gravitational influence. The more massive a galaxy is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. This is because the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses.

4. Can the gravitational influence of stars cause other celestial bodies to move?

Yes, the gravitational influence of stars can cause other celestial bodies such as planets, asteroids, and comets to move. These objects are also attracted to each other due to their mass and distance, resulting in their movements within the galaxy.

5. How does the distance between stars affect their gravitational influence?

The gravitational influence between two stars decreases as the distance between them increases. In other words, the closer two stars are to each other, the stronger their gravitational pull will be. This is represented by the inverse square law, where the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.