In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and its transfer in two scenarios - with a pen being moved slowly and with a battery charging a circuit. In both cases, there is a decrease in potential energy, but the remaining energy is dissipated differently. In the case of the pen, the energy is stored within the pen and is expended when it is brought down slowly. In the case of the battery, the remaining energy is dissipated as thermal energy. The conversation ends with a clarification on the concept of work and energy.
vishuboy
Hi,

I've been thinking on this for a while, any help would be great :)

I have a box placed over a table. There's a pen kept over the box. What I do here is move the pen slowly, without changing its velocity and bring it down on the table.

Assuming the table and box are at a height h1 and h2 respectively. The change in potential energy is mg(h2-h1).

Here is my doubt now, there is no change in KE, but there's a energy change, that is the energy stored within the pen has decreased. My question is where does this energy remaining go?

Now coming to the electric potential energy, If a battery movies a charge q through a potential diff Va (Higher pot) to Vb (low pot). The work done is q(Vb-Va). Though there is decrease in pot energy here, the remaining energy is dissipated as thermal energy and satisfies the law of conservation of energy.

My basic doubt is, the energy which comes out as thermal energy in case of electrical circuits, like this, what happens to the remaining energy in case of table-box situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the pen was brought down slowly it did work on whatever kept it from accelerating. That work is exactly equal to the missing energy.

Now I get it, this means when i actually bring it down, it does work on me. To counter that my energy is expended. Am i right?

Thanks for the help :)

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy an object has when it is raised to a certain height above the ground.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height above the ground.

3. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is the energy an object has when it is placed in an electric field created by other charged objects.

4. How is electric potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating electric potential energy is PE = qV, where q is the charge of the object and V is the electric potential at its position.

5. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and electric potential energy?

Both gravitational potential energy and electric potential energy are forms of potential energy, meaning they are stored energy that can be converted into other forms. They both depend on the position of the object in a field and can be calculated using similar formulas. However, the types of fields and forces involved are different in each case.