Gravitational potential energy confusion

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of gravitational potential energy and the confusion that arises from two different equations used to calculate it. The first equation, GPE=-mgh, shows that the potential energy is directly proportional to height. However, the second equation, -G*M*m/R, shows that the potential energy is inversely proportional to distance. The conversation goes on to explain that this discrepancy is due to the use of calculus and the relationship between force and potential energy. It is also clarified that the negative sign in the equations is not the issue, but rather the understanding of how the equations are derived. Finally, the conversation ends with a suggested solution to the confusion by substituting g in the first equation with the expression of g
sciencegem
Hi,
I've managed to get myself confused over the simplest thing. Intuitively I'd think that gravitational potential energy is proportional to distance as described by the near-body equation GPE=-mgh. The alternative for farther bodies (-G*M*m/R) has me confused because it is inversely proportional to distance. In other words (the way I see it) GPE grows the "higher up you go" with one equation while it shrinks perplexingly with the other. I know I'm probably just missing something so basic it's pathetic, I'm very frustrated with myself over this. Any hints on how to resolve my mental dilemma are appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably missing the minus sign.

I'm not. What I mean is, say, -m*g*.01 is small whereas -G*M*m/.01 is big.

Last edited:
Have you taken Calculus? The "potential energy" is the integral of the force function with respect to distance (conversely, the force is the derivative of the potential energy). The integral of [itex]x^n dx[/itex], for any constant x, is [itex]x^{n+1}/(n+1)[/itex].

For movement close to the earth, where the force can be taken to be constant, the integral is just the [itex]\int -mg dx= -mgx[/itex], taking the "n" above to be 0 so that n+ 1= 1. But if we are talking about greater distances where we have to use the more general [itex]-GmM/r^2[/itex], we have n= -2 so that n+1= -1 and the integral is [itex]Gmm/r[/itex].

Likes 1 person
sciencegem said:

Are they?
What is g equal to in terms of G and M.
Substitute that in your GPE=-mgh equationm.

Likes 1 person
sciencegem said:
That is exactly what you are missing. It is NOT -mgh, it is +mgh. As h increases mgh increases. As r increases -GMm/r also increases (-4 is greater than -4000). They both increase as height increases.

Likes 1 person

Related to Gravitational potential energy confusion

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential for an object to do work when it is moved from one position to another.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity and the height of the object above a reference point. The equation is GPE = mgh, where m is mass, g is acceleration due to gravity, and h is height.

3. What is the difference between gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The two energies are interconverted as the object moves and changes position.

4. Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the reference point for measuring height is chosen at a higher point than the object's current position. In this case, the gravitational potential energy is negative, indicating that work must be done to move the object to a higher position.

5. How does gravitational potential energy affect an object's motion?

Gravitational potential energy affects an object's motion by determining its potential to do work. As an object moves from a higher position to a lower position, its gravitational potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. This allows the object to accelerate due to the force of gravity.