1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Gravitational Potential Energy in orbit

1. Mar 12, 2016 #1
    This pertains to a homework question but I get the concept of PE or U = -GmM/a for an elliptical orbit. I also understand the derivation of the total energy of an object in an elliptical orbit as E = -GmM/2a. However, I have a homework question that asks for the ratio of an object's kinetic energy to total energy in orbit, and the problem states to use the relationship of K/E = 1 - U/E. However, wouldn't U/E be greater than 1 since E has a denominator of 2a while U has a denominator that is always smaller than 2a? This would force U to be greater than E, which would mean U/E is greater than 1, which leads to a K/E greater than 1. How does this make sense?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2016 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This is simply E = K + U rearranged.

4. Mar 12, 2016 #3

Doc Al

That's true. U/E = 2.

That doesn't follow. K/E = -1.

5. Mar 12, 2016 #4
    Ok I'm used to having ratios that are decimals rather than integer values. So it's acceptable in this case to have 2 and -1 be ratio values?

6. Mar 12, 2016 #5

Doc Al

You can express an integer as a decimal if you like.

Why not?

7. Mar 12, 2016 #6
    From using the simple relationship mgh and .5mv^2 when we define total energy, U or K has always been less than the total E. But with this I guess the relationship is opposite since a U value of 0 would indicate infinite distance? Would this also mean that a planet with a larger semi-major axis has more total energy since its E value would be closer to 0?

8. Mar 12, 2016 #7

Doc Al

Note that the reference point where U = 0 (where h = 0) is arbitrary, so you can get U < 0 there as well.

When dealing with gravity between planets and such, it is most convenient to set U = 0 when they are infinitely far apart. That is the basis of the formulas you quoted earlier.

Yes.

9. Mar 12, 2016 #8
    Ok thank you. You've just cleared up a ton of confusion!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted