Gravitational Potential Energy in orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of total energy in an elliptical orbit and the ratio of kinetic energy to total energy. The relationship of K/E = 1 - U/E is used, which may result in integer values for the ratio rather than decimals. The reference point for U = 0 is arbitrary, and a larger semi-major axis can result in a planet having more total energy. This may seem counterintuitive, but it is based on the convenience of setting U = 0 when objects are infinitely far apart.
ual8658
This pertains to a homework question but I get the concept of PE or U = -GmM/a for an elliptical orbit. I also understand the derivation of the total energy of an object in an elliptical orbit as E = -GmM/2a. However, I have a homework question that asks for the ratio of an object's kinetic energy to total energy in orbit, and the problem states to use the relationship of K/E = 1 - U/E. However, wouldn't U/E be greater than 1 since E has a denominator of 2a while U has a denominator that is always smaller than 2a? This would force U to be greater than E, which would mean U/E is greater than 1, which leads to a K/E greater than 1. How does this make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
ual8658 said:
and the problem states to use the relationship of K/E = 1 - U/E.
This is simply E = K + U rearranged.

ual8658 said:
This would force U to be greater than E, which would mean U/E is greater than 1,
That's true. U/E = 2.

ual8658 said:
which leads to a K/E greater than 1.
That doesn't follow. K/E = -1.

Doc Al said:
That's true. U/E = 2.That doesn't follow. K/E = -1.
Ok I'm used to having ratios that are decimals rather than integer values. So it's acceptable in this case to have 2 and -1 be ratio values?

ual8658 said:
Ok I'm used to having ratios that are decimals rather than integer values.
You can express an integer as a decimal if you like.

ual8658 said:
So it's acceptable in this case to have 2 and -1 be ratio values?
Why not?

Doc Al said:
You can express an integer as a decimal if you like.Why not?
From using the simple relationship mgh and .5mv^2 when we define total energy, U or K has always been less than the total E. But with this I guess the relationship is opposite since a U value of 0 would indicate infinite distance? Would this also mean that a planet with a larger semi-major axis has more total energy since its E value would be closer to 0?

ual8658 said:
From using the simple relationship mgh and .5mv^2 when we define total energy, U or K has always been less than the total E.
Note that the reference point where U = 0 (where h = 0) is arbitrary, so you can get U < 0 there as well.

ual8658 said:
But with this I guess the relationship is opposite since a U value of 0 would indicate infinite distance?
When dealing with gravity between planets and such, it is most convenient to set U = 0 when they are infinitely far apart. That is the basis of the formulas you quoted earlier.

ual8658 said:
Would this also mean that a planet with a larger semi-major axis has more total energy since its E value would be closer to 0?
Yes.

Doc Al said:
Note that the reference point where U = 0 (where h = 0) is arbitrary, so you can get U < 0 there as well.When dealing with gravity between planets and such, it is most convenient to set U = 0 when they are infinitely far apart. That is the basis of the formulas you quoted earlier.Yes.
Ok thank you. You've just cleared up a ton of confusion!

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move an object from its current position to infinity, while overcoming the force of gravity.

How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the center of the gravitational field.

What happens to gravitational potential energy in orbit?

In orbit, an object's gravitational potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. This means that as the object moves closer to the center of the gravitational field, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases.

Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the object is located below the reference point, such as in a deep hole or in the Earth's core. In these cases, the object has less potential energy than it would at the reference point, which is typically at the Earth's surface.

How is gravitational potential energy related to the law of universal gravitation?

The law of universal gravitation states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Gravitational potential energy is related to this law because it is a measure of the work required to move an object against the force of gravity, which is described by this law.