1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational pull on two objects

1. Feb 21, 2009 #1
    If three balls (all weighing 2.0kg) are lined in a row, what is the magnitude of the net gravitational force on mass A due to masses B and C in the figure. B is 10cm from A, and C is 50 cm from A (and of course C is 40 cm from B)
    (here's a 'diagram')
    (A)----(B)----------------------------C
    I've been using the equation G*(m1m2/Rsq) and been adding the gravitational pull from a & b and a & c but for some reason that's wrong. So where do I need to fine tune my equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2009 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What answer do you get? What do you expect to get (i.e., why do you think you are wrong)? Show your work, please.

4. Feb 21, 2009 #3
    I'm expecting to get 3.00×10-9 due to, the fact that G*(2kg*2kg)/.1m + G*(2kg*2kg)/.5m = 3.00×10-9

5. Feb 21, 2009 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You aren't using Newton's formula for gravitation. Look the equation, then look at what you are doing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook