Gravitational pull on two objects

In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnitude of the net gravitational force on mass A, given the masses and distances of B and C from A. The equation G*(m1m2/Rsq) is being used, but it is not Newton's formula for gravitation. The expected answer is 3.00×10-9, but it is incorrect due to the incorrect use of the equation. The speaker is asked to show their work and to use Newton's formula for gravitation.
enantiomer1
If three balls (all weighing 2.0kg) are lined in a row, what is the magnitude of the net gravitational force on mass A due to masses B and C in the figure. B is 10cm from A, and C is 50 cm from A (and of course C is 40 cm from B)
(here's a 'diagram')
(A)----(B)----------------------------C
I've been using the equation G*(m1m2/Rsq) and been adding the gravitational pull from a & b and a & c but for some reason that's wrong. So where do I need to fine tune my equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
What answer do you get? What do you expect to get (i.e., why do you think you are wrong)? Show your work, please.

I'm expecting to get 3.00×10-9 due to, the fact that G*(2kg*2kg)/.1m + G*(2kg*2kg)/.5m = 3.00×10-9

You aren't using Newton's formula for gravitation. Look the equation, then look at what you are doing.

1. What is gravitational pull?

Gravitational pull is the force of attraction between two objects due to their masses. It is the reason why objects with mass are pulled towards each other.

2. How does gravitational pull affect two objects?

The gravitational pull between two objects depends on their masses and the distance between them. The larger the masses of the objects and the closer they are, the stronger the gravitational pull will be.

3. How is gravitational pull calculated?

The force of gravitational pull between two objects can be calculated using the formula F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. Does the distance between two objects affect gravitational pull?

Yes, the distance between two objects has a direct impact on the strength of gravitational pull. The farther apart the objects are, the weaker the gravitational pull will be.

5. Can gravitational pull be cancelled out?

No, gravitational pull is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be cancelled out. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as the normal force or friction.