Which describes the 1D gravitational force in this figure?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Westin
Messages
87
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[/B]
1)Which describes the 1D gravitational force in this figure. (+x is to the right.)

a)Something else.
b)Fgrav=−GMmx2
c)Fgrav=+GMmx22)In moving the little mass m from x1 to infinity the force of gravity does _____________ work.

a) positive
b) negative
c) no

I added an attachment for the figure


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I only have one attempt at it so I want to make sure my logic is right.

1) I think the answer is Fgrav=−GMmx2 because the little mass is going away from the gravitational pull
2) Because of my explanation in #1, I believe the answer is negative


 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 7.48.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 7.48.12 PM.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree.
Westin said:
because the little mass is going away from the gravitational pull
We don't know where the mass is going, but x is going in the "away" direction.