Which describes the 1D gravitational force in this figure?

So, work is positive.In summary, the 1D gravitational force in the given figure is described by Fgrav=−GMmx2. When moving the little mass m from x1 to infinity, the force of gravity does positive work.
Westin

Homework Statement

[/B]
1)Which describes the 1D gravitational force in this figure. (+x is to the right.)

a)Something else.
b)Fgrav=−GMmx2
c)Fgrav=+GMmx22)In moving the little mass m from x1 to infinity the force of gravity does _____________ work.

a) positive
b) negative
c) no

I added an attachment for the figure

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I only have one attempt at it so I want to make sure my logic is right.

1) I think the answer is Fgrav=−GMmx2 because the little mass is going away from the gravitational pull
2) Because of my explanation in #1, I believe the answer is negative

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 7.48.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 7.48.12 PM.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree.
Westin said:
because the little mass is going away from the gravitational pull
We don't know where the mass is going, but x is going in the "away" direction.

1. What is the 1D gravitational force?

The 1D gravitational force is a force that occurs between two objects due to their masses and the distance between them. It is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies.

2. How is the 1D gravitational force calculated?

The 1D gravitational force is calculated using the formula F = G * (m1 * m2)/r2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the 1D gravitational force?

The 1D gravitational force is affected by two main factors: the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The force increases as the masses of the objects increase and decreases as the distance between them increases.

4. How does the 1D gravitational force change with distance?

The 1D gravitational force follows an inverse square law, which means that as the distance between two objects doubles, the force decreases by a factor of four. This means that the force is strongest when the objects are close together and decreases as they move further apart.

5. Can the 1D gravitational force be repulsive?

No, the 1D gravitational force is always attractive between two objects. This is because the force is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the distance between them. Therefore, it is impossible for the force to be repulsive.