Electric Charge/Gravitational Pull

In summary: So you have the three forces. What about the equations (∑F=0)?There is no force besides electronic force acting on it, correct? What equation do i use.If that were the only force the small ball would accelerate until it hit the larger ball. What stops it?The tension in the string would stop it.
KTiaam

Homework Statement

So in class we are learning about electric charge and we were shown a video of a small ball being attracted to a larger ball by an electric charge. We are given some data about the balls below. There are two questions associated with this problem.

(we are trying to prove that the force shown from the video was to large to be a graviational pull, and thus it is a electrical force)
Calculate the attractive gravitational force that the spheres exert on one another.
Calculate the actual force that is being exerted on the small ball by the large ball to pull it away from vertical by the angle shown in the diagram.
(diagram is just a small ball on rope being attracted to a bigger ball)

Homework Equations

Mass of Big ball = 150g
Radius of Big ball = 10.0cm

Mass of Small ball = 0.05 g
Radius of Small ball = 0.5cm

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do the first problem, what I am having problem is understanding the second problem. There is no force besides electronic force acting on it, correct? What equation do i use.

please help me in the correct direction.
any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
KTiaam said:
There is no force besides electronic force acting on it, correct? What equation do i use.
If that were the only force the small ball would accelerate until it hit the larger ball. What stops it?
(Btw, it's an electric force, not an electronic one.)

haruspex said:
If that were the only force the small ball would accelerate until it hit the larger ball. What stops it?
(Btw, it's an electric force, not an electronic one.)

tension due to the string?

KTiaam said:
tension due to the string?

Yes, and there's a third force. Draw the free body diagram, with the ball pulled a little towards the larger ball by the electric field, so that the string is not vertical. What equations can you write down?

haruspex said:
Yes, and there's a third force. Draw the free body diagram, with the ball pulled a little towards the larger ball by the electric field, so that the string is not vertical. What equations can you write down?

tension and gravity

KTiaam said:
tension and gravity
So you have the three forces. What about the equations (∑F=0)?

Related to Electric Charge/Gravitational Pull

What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience electrical and magnetic forces. It can be positive or negative, and like charges repel while opposite charges attract.

How is electric charge measured?

Electric charge is measured in units called coulombs (C). The charge of an electron is approximately -1.6 x 10^-19 C, while the charge of a proton is +1.6 x 10^-19 C. The charge of an object can be measured using an instrument called an electrometer.

What is gravitational pull?

Gravitational pull is the force of attraction between two objects due to their mass. The larger the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational pull. This is what causes objects to fall towards the Earth and keeps planets in their orbits around the sun.

How is gravitational pull calculated?

The strength of gravitational pull between two objects is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation: F = (G * m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

What is the relationship between electric charge and gravitational pull?

Electric charge and gravitational pull are both fundamental properties of matter, but they are distinct and unrelated forces. Electric charge is the force between particles with an electric charge, while gravitational pull is the force between objects with mass. They follow different laws and do not directly affect each other.