Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational time dilation

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    What is the equation for calculating the gravitational time dilation?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

As usual, Wikipedia has formulas. And every textbook has them as well.

I think your clock would run a bit slower, but I did not compare the relative influences of Sun and Jupiter. If xkcd did it right, Jupiter dominates.

Jupiter does not have a solid surface to stand on, by the way.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3
    What is the equation for calculating the gravitational time dilation?

5. Apr 3, 2013 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

Follow the link in mfb's post !

6. Apr 3, 2013 #5
    Because I don't understand the equation, so it Weill help me if you just give me an example using the gravitational time dilation equation

7. Apr 3, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can edit your posts with the edit button.

Just plug in all parameters (gravitational constant, mass of the planet, its radius, and the speed of light) in the formula, and you get the time dilation on the surface, relative to some observer far away from the planet.

8. Apr 3, 2013 #7
    T is the proper time between events A and B for a slow-ticking observer within the gravitational field,
    To is the coordinate time between events A and B for a fast-ticking observer at an arbitrarily large distance from the massive object (this assumes the fast-ticking observer is using Schwarzschild coordinates, a coordinate system where a clock at infinite distance from the massive sphere would tick at one second per second of coordinate time, while closer clocks would tick at less than that rate), what does this mean?????? You can find them in the link. What does T and To mean????

9. Apr 3, 2013 #8
  10. Apr 3, 2013 #9
  11. Apr 3, 2013 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook