Gravitational Wave Communication System

In summary: Theoretically we should be able to transmit information in both cases but the latter is obviously much more difficult.Secondly, to transmit information using gravitational waves we need vast amounts of mass and then oscillate these masses up and down to cause fluctuations in space.I recently went to a lecture at UWA where they talked about the recent discoveries of gravitational waves, I was gobsmacked by the masses of the interacting objects.These were black holes, often rotating, joining up They have masses ranging from about 5 to several tens of solar masses.I don't know about you but we don't have that type of mass lying around.Finally, gravitational waves travel at the speed of light, according to GR,
alan123hk
Would it be possible to transmit information through gravitational waves?

It must be a giant leap for mankind if we can utilize gravitational waves for communication since the electromagnetic spectrum for communication is a scarce resource and not much space is left.

I imagine that the development process of such gravitational wave communication system be somehow like what we have done for our sophisticated radio communication system, there will be gravitational oscillator, low noise gravitational amplifier,...etc, would it be a silly and naive ideas ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
alan123hk said:
Would it be possible to transmit information through gravitational waves?

It must be a giant leap for mankind if we can utilize gravitational waves for communication since the electromagnetic spectrum for communication is a scarce resource and not much space is left.

I imagine that the development process of such gravitational wave communication system be somehow like what we have done for our sophisticated radio communication system, there will be gravitational oscillator, low noise gravitational amplifier,...etc, would it be a silly and naive ideas ?
in principal, of course. What practical issues do you see with the Tx side of a gravitational wave transmission?

Gravitational waves are extremely weak, it is literally the warping of space time continuum. Try communicating with water waves then try making waves in a 10 m thick steel wall.Theoretically we should be able to transmit information in both cases but the latter is obviously much more difficult.Infact Einstein was highly sceptical that we would ever detect gravitational waves due to there weakness.

Secondly, to transmit information using gravitational waves we need vast amounts of mass and then oscillate these masses up and down to cause fluctuations in space ( I presume) .I recently went to a lecture at UWA where they talked about the recent discoveries of gravitational waves , I was gobsmacked by the masses of the interacting objects.These were black holes , often rotating, joining up They have masses ranging from about 5 to several tens of solar masses.I don't know about you but we don't have that type of mass lying around.

Finally, gravitational waves travel at the speed of light ,according to GR, hence why waste all that time when I can send radio waves?

Likes gianeshwar and berkeman
berkeman said:
in principal, of course. What practical issues do you see with the Tx side of a gravitational wave transmission?

Dear Berkeman,
Yes, you are absolutely right.
It seems that extremely difficult or almost impossible to build a safe system which can create strong enough gravitational wave for communication on earth.

Last edited:

1. What is a Gravitational Wave Communication System?

A Gravitational Wave Communication System is a proposed technology that would use gravitational waves, ripples in the fabric of spacetime, to transmit information between two points. This would allow for long-distance, high-speed communication that is not limited by physical barriers like mountains or buildings.

2. How does a Gravitational Wave Communication System work?

A Gravitational Wave Communication System would work by sending a signal in the form of a gravitational wave from a transmitter to a receiver. The transmitter would create a disturbance in the fabric of spacetime, which would travel as a wave to the receiver. The receiver would then decode the signal and convert it into usable information.

3. What are the potential benefits of a Gravitational Wave Communication System?

One of the main benefits of a Gravitational Wave Communication System is its ability to transmit information over long distances without any interference from physical objects. This would make it ideal for communication between spacecraft, or for sending information across large bodies of water. It could also potentially be used for secure communication, as gravitational waves are difficult to detect and intercept.

4. What are the challenges of developing a Gravitational Wave Communication System?

One of the biggest challenges of developing a Gravitational Wave Communication System is the technology required to create and detect gravitational waves. Currently, the most powerful sources of gravitational waves are massive objects like black holes, which are difficult to control and manipulate. Another challenge is finding a way to encode and decode information into gravitational waves in a reliable and efficient manner.

5. Are there any real-world applications for a Gravitational Wave Communication System?

While a Gravitational Wave Communication System is still in the conceptual stage, there are many potential real-world applications for this technology. It could be used for long-distance communication in space, allowing for better communication between spacecraft and ground control. It could also be used for disaster relief efforts, as it would not be affected by physical obstacles like mountains or buildings. Additionally, it could potentially revolutionize the field of secure communication by providing a new, difficult-to-detect method of transmission.