Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Wave Detection Project Help

1. Feb 25, 2007 #1
    I am doing a project on Gravitational Wave Detection Techniques, and I am already done with preparing the apparatus for that , its kid of Michelson Interferometer with some minor additions , the wave detection is based on the same basic principle of fringe shift due to path difference in two rays of light , due to disturbances in local spacetime fabric .

But the problem is that at such a small level , its difficult to practically show any determinable fringe shifts , because of highly low intensity GW's at ground level , please advice me , how should I go about , taking my apparatus more closer to the real thing , is there a possibility that somehow I can modify the weak signals ??... should I create a model of planets , and show how the fringe shift is related to the intensity of cosmic GW passed???....Can someone pls guide me , or give me a link to a paper/site that studies the fringe shift with the intensity of wave passed in mathematical form ... etc.

Any sort of additions to my project if possible ..pls advice

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2007 #2
    You should contact someone about it.
    I don't know where you live, but there is a grav wave lab in Western Australia. Contact Prof D. Blair and with some luck he might tell you about supermirrors and all sorts of stuff.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?