Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational waves adn Black holes frequency

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    I'm reading this paper "Exact Gravitational Quasinormal Frequencies of Topological Black Holes"

...By D. Birmingham and S. Mokhtari : http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0609028v2
    and now i confusing what are meaning of gravitational quasinormal modes of Topological Black holes?.

Can i say that gravitational quasinormal modes of Topological Black holes are the frequencies of Topological Black holes?

Best regards

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2
    Hello Supakorn

You wrote:
    I have downloaded the file too and will look into it. Intuitively I would say topological means here that possibly the black holes do not have perfect rotational symmetry and the Schwartschild surface perhaps not perfectly round. The word mode perhaps changing from one to another. Quasinormal; normal being right angles to another and quasi meaning almost? I definitally say that the sentence is frequencies of gravitational modes and not of TBH.
    I'll look into it and you will hear from me again. At forward thanks for pointing out the article.

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    OK read the paper and found:
    modes are scalar, vector or tensor. The frequencies are complex number with negative imaginary part. That is why they are called quasinormal. The mode with frequencies with the smallest imaginary part is actual. I don't know what anti de Sitter black holes are...
    In the tensor mode also is spoken of massles black holes...
    All the way interesting...
  5. May 19, 2009 #4
    thank you so much.
  6. May 23, 2009 #5
    Hello suprakorn. So you make no objections whatsoever if somebody speaks of massless black holes? I made my objections even when people spoke of black holes! Had to wear a special mouthpiece for that!
    greetings Janm
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?