Can Gravitons Escape Black Holes?

In summary: Gravitational radiation is not quantized and is not compatable with field theory?Not sure I get this. Elect-mag radiation is quantized and is compatable with field theory. Right? Gravitational radiation is not quantized and is not compatable with field theory?Yes, electromagnetic radiation is quantized, while gravitational radiation is not.
cgw
Maybe a simple or stupid question so bear with me (it is late and I just thought of this). Assuming the existence of gravitons and assuming they are mass-less and travel the speed of light - how can they escape a black hole? Please point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've always wondered that myself. I figured it is explained by gravitational field theory, which I have yet to learn.

I've wondered about this too. I've also wondered about why charged particles don't "glow" with virtual photons (my nuclear physics professor told me once, but I forgot the explanation). I think the answer to these two questions might be the same. I think this might have something to do with the uncertainty principle.

For the gravity case, here's a thought: a distant observer never actually sees a black hole form. The observer would just see a shell of matter falling inward more and more slowly, asymptotically approaching the Schwarzschild radius as time goes on. So if I'm interpreting this right, you could say that all the gravitational waves that are ever going to escape from the black hole's gravity well are emitted in the "short time" it takes for the infalling matter to reach [itex]r = 2M[/itex].

Right now I'm wishing I hadn't missed a lecture on gravitational wave production a few weeks ago... :-(

Troponin said:
I've always wondered that myself. I figured it is explained by gravitational field theory, which I have yet to learn.
It is. But a quantum theory of gravity, by definition, is - well - quantized, which means it is incompatible with a field theory of gravity.

DaveC426913 said:
It is. But a quantum theory of gravity, by definition, is - well - quantized, which means it is incompatible with a field theory of gravity.

Not sure I get this. Elect-mag radiation is quantized and is compatable with field theory. Right?

1. What are gravitons?

Gravitons are hypothetical particles that are thought to be carriers of the force of gravity. They are predicted by certain theories, such as string theory, but have not yet been observed or proven to exist.

2. How do gravitons relate to black holes?

Gravitons are believed to be involved in the formation and behavior of black holes. They are thought to be responsible for the gravitational pull that causes matter to collapse and form a singularity, the defining feature of a black hole.

3. Can gravitons escape from a black hole?

No, gravitons are subject to the same laws of physics as other particles, which means they cannot escape from within the event horizon of a black hole. Once they cross this point of no return, they are unable to escape the intense gravitational pull.

4. How are gravitons different from other particles?

Gravitons are unique in that they are believed to have no mass or charge, and only interact with other particles through the force of gravity. This makes them difficult to detect and study, as they do not behave like other particles in the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. What is the current research on gravitons and black holes?

Scientists are still working to understand the role of gravitons in the behavior of black holes, as well as trying to find ways to detect or observe them. There are also ongoing efforts to reconcile theories of gravity, such as general relativity, with the concept of gravitons from quantum physics.