Gravity: after Einstein, is it really a force?

In summary, according to Einstein gravity results from the curvature of space. If that is so, it would make sense to say that gravity is an effect resulting from the curvature of space. However, unifying gravity with the other three forces comes down to reconciling GR and quantum mechanics. If we discover an additional dimension, that would impact the relativistic equations.
Phenylflux
I'm not a great scientist or math guru, I was in the naval nuclear power program and only pursue physics as a hobby. My question is this: according to Einstein gravity results from the curvature of space. If that is so wouldn't it be reasonable to say that gravity is an effect resulting from the curvature of space? Just like centrifugal force isn't really a force at all, but an APPARENT force resulting from the laws of inertia? If that is correct, why try to unify gravity with the other three forces? We don't try to unify centrifugal force with them, or am I way off base? Any replies would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Phenylflux said:
I'm not a great scientist or math guru, I was in the naval nuclear power program and only pursue physics as a hobby. My question is this: according to Einstein gravity results from the curvature of space. If that is so wouldn't it be reasonable to say that gravity is an effect resulting from the curvature of space? Just like centrifugal force isn't really a force at all, but an APPARENT force resulting from the laws of inertia? If that is correct, why try to unify gravity with the other three forces? We don't try to unify centrifugal force with them, or am I way off base? Any replies would be appreciated.

You are right about the GR picture of gravitation as an apparent force. However, unifying gravitation with the other three forces really comes down to reconciling GR and quantum mechanics. You may be interested in this recent thread.

Thank you for the clarification I will check out the thread

New question: with m theory they look to higher dimensions to be able to include gravity. With relativity relying on four dimensional coordination, if we do discover an additional dimension, how will that impact the relativistic equations?

First of all, I want to commend you for pursuing physics as a hobby and for your interest in understanding the concept of gravity. Your question is a valid one and has been a topic of debate among scientists for many years.

You are correct in saying that after Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is understood as the curvature of space. This means that objects with mass cause a distortion in the fabric of space, which we perceive as the force of gravity. This is a departure from the traditional understanding of gravity as a force that acts between objects with mass.

It is important to note that while gravity may not be considered a traditional force, it still has a significant impact on the behavior of objects in the universe. It is responsible for the orbits of planets, the formation of galaxies, and the overall structure of the universe.

As for your question about unifying gravity with the other three forces, it is important to remember that all four forces (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) play different roles in the universe and are described by different theories. While the other forces can be unified under the framework of quantum mechanics, gravity has not yet been successfully incorporated into this framework. Scientists are still working towards a theory of quantum gravity that can unify all four forces.

In terms of comparing gravity to centrifugal force, it is important to note that gravity is a fundamental force of nature, while centrifugal force is an apparent force that arises due to the rotation of objects. They are not directly comparable in terms of their fundamental nature.

In conclusion, while the concept of gravity may have changed after Einstein's theory of general relativity, it still plays a crucial role in the behavior of the universe. Scientists are continuously working towards a better understanding of gravity and its unification with the other forces, and your interest and questions are valuable contributions to this ongoing research.

1. What is the current understanding of gravity after Einstein's theories?

After Einstein's theories of relativity, scientists now understand gravity as a curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy. This means that objects with mass create a dip in the fabric of space-time, and other objects are pulled towards it due to this curvature.

2. Is gravity still considered a force after Einstein's theories?

No, gravity is no longer considered a force in the traditional sense. Instead, it is viewed as a result of the curvature of space-time. This means that objects do not directly attract each other, but rather, their movements are influenced by the curvature of space-time caused by their masses.

3. How does Einstein's theory of general relativity explain gravity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy. This theory states that the force of gravity is a result of objects following the shortest path in a curved space-time, rather than being directly attracted to each other.

4. Has Einstein's theory of general relativity been proven?

Yes, Einstein's theory of general relativity has been proven through various experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light by massive objects, such as stars, has been observed and confirmed to be a result of the curvature of space-time.

5. How has our understanding of gravity changed since Einstein's theories?

Our understanding of gravity has changed significantly since Einstein's theories. Before, gravity was thought of as a force that directly attracts objects to each other. However, after Einstein's theories, we now understand that gravity is a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy.