Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity and string theory

1. Nov 12, 2007 #1
    So after watching the tv show titles "Elegant Universe" narrated by Brian green. and after reading his book with the same name among other books of similar interest, I've had a brain storm. According to M-theory strings are opened ended strings that are connected to the universe at each end as they vibrate. gravity however is the only string, according to m-theory, that is a closed loop string able to traverse our brane of our 3dimensional universe. So i was thinking about relativity and how it says that the solar bodies bend the space time. What i have come to think is that maybe the accumulation of matter in space does not bend space time. What if the concentration of mass/energy affects gravitons and its that bends space and time not the matter. think of it like air pressure on a body in the atmosphere. Sort of explains why close to large bodies gravity is most powerful. Now to throw something into the gears, can we create a dense concentration of energy to create a local gravity field that is independent from earths. in other words can we make a "craft" appear massless in reference to earths gravity for travel purposes.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2
    what are gravitons??
    what to you mean by a vibrating string???
    what is vibrating on the string???
    why string theory (old one) requires 26 dimensions???
    what are the equations of motion governing a classical string???
    etc etc...

etc etc...

4. Nov 12, 2007 #3
    gravity

huh. i guess one would have to read about or watch a show about quantum theory in order to know what strings are. i don't know exactly the mathematical equations defining strings or matter. I'm not a physicist, just someone interested in the field. I just through out this idea of my based on what i have learned about string theory and gravity and the universe. So i guess it is possible that what i wrote just might be nothing more than a random collection of familiar words that deal with physics. I thought someone that does know what i am talking about would have some sort of useful input.

5. Nov 12, 2007 #4
    Not that i know any much physics(im just an amteur like you)
    but i think you learning string theory is going to take a really really long time
    try strating with zweibachs text book its supposed to be for undergrads
    but even that is a tough read.I stopped reading it because i realized i need to have a proper background in other areas of physics like sp rel,part physics ,classical and quantum field theory etc....

6. Nov 12, 2007 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Most string texts require about 2 years [working knowledge] of study in calculus, relativity and quantum mechanics to be comprehensible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?