1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Gravity and the Direction of Time

1. Jul 29, 2017 #1
    I recently read an interesting article published in Physical Review Letters in October 2014 - "Identification of a Gravitational Arrow of Time." There were also other articles in several general interest science magazines.
    https://physics.aps.org/featured-article-pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.113.181101.

It seemed like it could be a big deal, but I haven't read anything else about it with a date after 2014. What happened? Did it turn out to be incorrect or unimportant? Were there rebuttals? Was no one interested? I am curious to know what happened next.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2017 #2
    I do not in the slightest claim to understand the paper itself, but this section may elucidate why it didn't have bigger repercussions:

"We emphasize that in this Letter we make no claim to explain all the various arrows of time. We are making just one point: an arrow of time does arise in at least one case without any special initial condition, which may therefore be dispensable for all the arrows."

The way it sounds this is a very narrow result, and thus not generally applicable.

4. Jul 30, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the response. Articles are always full of qualifications like that. It still seems like it could be a big deal, even if it's only in a limited sense. I'd still like to know why it's not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted