• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Testing GRE Physics Prep for non-physicist

Hello again,

I'm planning on apply to a few medical physics programs in the fall, most of which do not require the physics GRE subject test. However, one does, and I really want to apply there. My thoughts? It wouldn't hurt to learn some more physics. I am a nuclear engineering major, so I would have a good ways to go to be able to be competitive on the test, but what are some good things to look at in preparation for it. Does it seem like a something I can do? I know that people spend 4+ years studying physics have a hard time with the test, so I am a bit intimidated, but I can at least give it a shot.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I think it will be difficult to cram in an undergraduate education in a few months. What you can do, though, is review what you already know so you won't lose any points that you really shouldn't.

A large portion of the PGRE is from the first few subjects you'd have in a physics program. I'm sure they were part of your engineering program as well. I'd make sure you're confident in all of that material.
A few good educated guesses on the other topics and a solid score on the subjects you should have a background for would amount to a fairly decent score. I don't know how that score will compare to students that have had the full physics background though (or how much it will matter in medical physics if you have a solid "medical" background)

j93

As an engineering major have you taken
Thermodynamics
Statistical Mechanics
E&M
Mechanics ie. Physics I

If you have, all you would need to do for quantum
is a very rough understanding of the first few
chapters Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths
and sadly that might be overpreparation for the Quantum part.