1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE Physics Prep for non-physicist

Tags:
  1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    Hello again,

I'm planning on apply to a few medical physics programs in the fall, most of which do not require the physics GRE subject test. However, one does, and I really want to apply there. My thoughts? It wouldn't hurt to learn some more physics. I am a nuclear engineering major, so I would have a good ways to go to be able to be competitive on the test, but what are some good things to look at in preparation for it. Does it seem like a something I can do? I know that people spend 4+ years studying physics have a hard time with the test, so I am a bit intimidated, but I can at least give it a shot.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think it will be difficult to cram in an undergraduate education in a few months. What you can do, though, is review what you already know so you won't lose any points that you really shouldn't.

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    A large portion of the PGRE is from the first few subjects you'd have in a physics program. I'm sure they were part of your engineering program as well. I'd make sure you're confident in all of that material.
    A few good educated guesses on the other topics and a solid score on the subjects you should have a background for would amount to a fairly decent score. I don't know how that score will compare to students that have had the full physics background though (or how much it will matter in medical physics if you have a solid "medical" background)

5. Mar 29, 2009 #4

j93

As an engineering major have you taken
    Thermodynamics
    Statistical Mechanics
    E&M
    Mechanics ie. Physics I

If you have, all you would need to do for quantum
    is a very rough understanding of the first few
    chapters Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths
    and sadly that might be overpreparation for the Quantum part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook