1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE Quant Very bad score? Why?

1. Sep 2, 2015 #1
    I did atrocious on my GRE quant: 152. I don't understand this since I'm able to get As in upper level physics classes and math classes. I found myself very pressed for time. I found myself often trying to "think" out the math problems instead of resorting to math "tricks" to simplify expressions. Is this maybe me losing touch with basic HS math after doing integrals and huge derivations in physics classes? Perhaps my difficulty in high school in math is coming back to bite me? I'm trying to rationalize this. I did not study at all, just took 2 practice tests a week before and scored 154, 160. I feel like most physics majors shouldn't have to prepare and they'll still do 160+?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2015 #2
    Enroll in ALEKS precalculus and complete the pie before you try again. I know of no more thorough review of HS math.

4. Sep 2, 2015 #3
    I think this is it honestly, it was for me.

5. Sep 2, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't get why you're looking for rationalizations when it's pretty obvious what you did wrong.

6. Sep 2, 2015 #5
    When one gets A's in physics and math at the 3000 and 4000 level, it's reasonable to assume you'd do well at GRE quant level stuff which is high school algebra, geometry and stats at best. I did no study for my english section of the GRE and got in the 160's; I do agree that if the OP wants to do better, he should actually review though.

7. Sep 2, 2015 #6
    Did the new test seem harder than the practices? The two I did I got 165 on each. I wasn't planning on studying anything either for it lol.

8. Sep 2, 2015 #7
    What did you miss when you took the practice tests? The questions on the GRE quant section are sometimes worded kind of tricky, was that your downfall?

9. Sep 3, 2015 #8
    It is completely possible to fluke GRE quant even when you feel confident in you math skills. I myself got very bad scores once due to stress and lack of sleep (and also not preparing for it seriously). When I retook it later, I had 790 (99th percentile) score without much trouble. You should take it seriously and work through the type of problems they ask and train to do it quickly. Keep in mind that they don't aim to test your math knowledge as such, but your ability to cope with the test (so that to screen out applicants). This includes choosing appropriate strategies and preparation.

10. Sep 3, 2015 #9
    Most people on this site don't study at all. Perhaps they're just much smarter than me. I don't know.

11. Sep 3, 2015 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Lagraange,

I am wondering what you are hoping to get out of PF. In this thread, you asked if a 155 would be a problem. You were told that it would be, and that you should study. You didn't study, and got a 152. If you aren't going to take the community's advice, why ask for it? And why act surprised when it doesn't work out for you?

12. Sep 3, 2015 #11
    Mainly the algebraic manipulation questions. Like determining which is greater this number times its primes or this this times its that, etc.

13. Sep 3, 2015 #12
    That was a day before the exam. Why didn't I study? Hubris and lack of time. More of the former.

14. Sep 3, 2015 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Evidence please?

15. Sep 3, 2015 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Study this time and take the exam again. That's your only option.

16. Sep 3, 2015 #15
    Every forum I go through everyone is stating how as a physics major the exam is cake and they got 160+ with no study. It's pretty discouraging to do just as well as an art history major in quant. My main trouble is the time constraint. I can solve every problem just not in 2min. Guess I need to improve my algebraic manipulations skills more. I don't know

17. Sep 3, 2015 #16
    What do you recommend? The GRE quant book with some practice exams mixed in? Should I ignore reading? (I got 152 as well). I'm looking to take January off(after fall semester) and just study for a month.

18. Sep 3, 2015 #17
    Thankfully I don't apply for grad school for a year and that gives me the winter to study for GRE general and entire summer for physics.

19. Sep 3, 2015 #18
    Ah... well, when you do those. do you plug in examples (the easy way) or try to rearrange equations (the hard way)?

20. Sep 3, 2015 #19

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Nobody suggested that. But to paraphrase advice you got elsewhere, if you can't study two things over the course of a year, you are not cut out for graduate school.

21. Sep 3, 2015 #20
    If you had studied in the time you spend here making topics, maybe you'd have done better.

Everyone on the internet lies and brags. Surely some people on here that claim to have a doctorate or claim to be scientists are lying as well. No one is ever gonna catch them and internet is a true make-believe parallel universe.

It is already very hard to give someone online advice. When you add "oh and I didnt study' the only correct answer based on the info given is that you scored bad because you didn't study. Maybe not correct based on the story of your life, but surely correct based on the info given.

Sure, people pass tests without studying. But that's besides the point. Not to mention, tons of people out there study their asses off, then tell their classmates they didn't study for that top mark they got.

It is good that you realize that you need advice. But the best way to get it is to talk with your study advisor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook