Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
62 replies · 18K views
Physics news on Phys.org
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
In case you were wondering what happens when Micromass slaps new users with a fish...
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
JaredJames
- 2,822
- 22
Can't beat a bit of Monty Python.
Heck, with the standards in this thread, I nominate them as the greatest physicists!
They certainly demonstrated Newtons laws, nothing like a fish to the face to drive home the concept. You won't forget that in a hurry.
Heck, with the standards in this thread, I nominate them as the greatest physicists!
They certainly demonstrated Newtons laws, nothing like a fish to the face to drive home the concept. You won't forget that in a hurry.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,850
- 554
Now that I think about it... Physics is a very woody word. It has that woody quality about it. Good woody sort of word.
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
I nominate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3jt5ibfRzw" for greatest physicist!
Last edited by a moderator:
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
- 204
- 0
Ooh, something for the quotes thread!G01 said:Now, as the air of General Discussion fills my lungs, I want to laugh at both the thread and myself.
Ok.G01 said:someone hit me with a fish please...
pergradus said:this poll is absurd...
Ask that in the Stupid Q&A thread.jhae2.718 said:Who is Stephen Hawkings?
I nominate Zefrem Cochrane as the greatest physicist.
Oh wait he's a fictional character.
You people are distracting me from my TV episode.
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
Okay, for the first time for the last time, it is Stephen Hawking. Not "Hawkings". No "s".
There's also no "Feynmann" or "einstein".
There's also no "Feynmann" or "einstein".

FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
- 204
- 0
Ok, ok, I understood the first time. I noticed the "s".jhae2.718 said:Okay, for the first time for the last time, it is Stephen Hawking. Not "Hawkings". No "s".
I was not saying you were stupid.

- 22,170
- 3,335
I think it's really sad how Stefan Hawkins is confined to his wheelchair...
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
FtlIsAwesome said:Ok, ok, I understood the first time. I noticed the "s".
I was not saying you were stupid.![]()
I did not interpret it as such.
<rant>
I am just sick and tired of people not taking the time to make sure what they write is correct. It's not that hard to get the name of such big names correct, but people misspell "Hawking" as "Hawkings" or "Einstein" as "einstein" all the time.
The same holds with spelling and grammar issues. I can understand typos every now and then, but is it really that hard to use a spell-checker, or to use capital letters and punctuation correctly?
</rant>
I am just sick and tired of people not taking the time to make sure what they write is correct. It's not that hard to get the name of such big names correct, but people misspell "Hawking" as "Hawkings" or "Einstein" as "einstein" all the time.
The same holds with spelling and grammar issues. I can understand typos every now and then, but is it really that hard to use a spell-checker, or to use capital letters and punctuation correctly?
</rant>
Last edited:
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
- 204
- 0
We should have [rant][/rant] tags integrated into the forum. 
People use them often.
People use them often.
- 22,170
- 3,335
FtlIsAwesome said:We should have [rant][/rant] tags integrated into the forum.
People use them often.
We have them already, just click on the eye on the editor.
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
- 204
- 0
The spoiler tags just aren't the same you know?...micromass said:We have them already, just click on the eye on the editor.
The rant tags should be like the code tags, but with a red background.
- 22,170
- 3,335
FtlIsAwesome said:The spoiler tags just aren't the same you know?...
The rant tags should be like the code tags, but with a red background.
The spoiler tags are especially made for rants! They make them invisible, except for the masochists who really want to see them...
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
Well, you'd also want type attributes for starters, e.g.:
<rant type="Why is it that I am the only one here who is competent?" />
<rant type="Honestly, I'm the only one who $does_something; I don't know why I bother." />
<rant type="I'm low on caffeine and I just want to yell at someone." />
<rant type="Internet, this is why I'm right and your wrong." /> /*Yes, the misspelling is intended.*/
We need to work out a specification first.
<rant type="Why is it that I am the only one here who is competent?" />
<rant type="Honestly, I'm the only one who $does_something; I don't know why I bother." />
<rant type="I'm low on caffeine and I just want to yell at someone." />
<rant type="Internet, this is why I'm right and your wrong." /> /*Yes, the misspelling is intended.*/
We need to work out a specification first.
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
- 204
- 0
That's what's wrong with them, they're invisible.micromass said:The spoiler tags are especially made for rants! They make them invisible, except for the masochists who really want to see them...
When I rant, I want it to be big and bold.
- 22,170
- 3,335
jhae2.718 said:Well, you'd also want type attributes for starters, e.g.:
<rant type="Why is it that I am the only one here who is competent?" />
<rant type="Honestly, I'm the only one who $does_something; I don't know why I bother." />
<rant type="I'm low on caffeine and I just want to yell at someone." />
<rant type="Internet, this is why I'm right and your wrong." /> /*Yes, the misspelling is intended.*/
We need to work out a specification first.
And for our crackpot friends
<rant type="People with a phoney PhD oppress my freedom of speech. pi is exactly 3, damnit! />
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
- 204
- 0
I want to add this.jhae2.718 said:Well, you'd also want type attributes for starters, e.g.:
Code:<rant type="Why is it that I am the only one here who is competent?" /> <rant type="Honestly, I'm the only one who $does_something; I don't know why I bother." /> <rant type="I'm low on caffeine and I just want to yell at someone." /> <rant type="Internet, this is why I'm right and your wrong." /> /*Yes, the misspelling is intended.*/
We need to work out a specification first.
Code:
<rant type="I just want to yell at someone." />
That's what people have been doing!lisab said:You could always just make up one of your own .
No that's wrong. I saw one who said pi is 4.micromass said:And for our crackpot friends
Code:<rant type="People with a phoney PhD oppress my freedom of speech. pi is exactly 3, damnit! />
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
FtlIsAwesome said:No that's wrong. I saw one who said pi is 4.![]()
u shud no that pi is 3.125 i like read it on this web and this guy prooved it wif math
- 22,170
- 3,335
Listen up, I haven't done math in like 25 years, but I think I have shown that pi is exactly 22/7. I just hope that the mathematics work out!
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
Hey everyone, I've got this theory that unifies GR and QM worked out pretty well, here's my paper. I just need someone to fill in the math.
<link to poorly formatted 3 page Word document>
<link to poorly formatted 3 page Word document>
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
All seriousness in this thread died the moment it was moved to GD...
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
- 204
- 0
*hyperventilating maniacal laugh*NOTICE: In approximately 1 minute the web protection on my computer will lock me out of the Internet.jhae2.718 said:All seriousness in this thread died the moment it was moved to GD...
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
FtlIsAwesome said:NOTICE: In approximately 1 minute the web protection on my computer will lock me out of the Internet.
physics girl phd
- 931
- 3
jhae2.718 said:All seriousness in this thread died the moment it was moved to GD...
I would have thought all seriousness in the thread died when we were given the original selections.
- 32,819
- 4,724
covert_genius said:the argument came up in class today, people were saying the typical Newton and einstein etc but i feel the aren't really that relevant anymore. so in your opinion, who is the greatest scientist of this century? in terms of both scientific findings, educating the masses of certain theories, and current relevance in the field of research.
I haven't seen a question and a poll so out of touch with reality than this one. You seem to be confusing "greatest" with "popular media figure". And the list that you present for voting is awfully shallow, and only filled with figures that an ignorant news reporter would come up with on a whim.
It was why this belongs more in the General Discussion forum than the General Physics forum, where it was first posted.
Zz.
jhae2.718
Gold Member
- 1,184
- 20
physics girl phd said:I would have thought all seriousness in the thread died when we were given the original selections.
What I meant was, in General Physics (or other "real" forums) most people try to keep an a air og seriousness/professionalism, but move it to GD and there's no longer that need.
SamirS
That fish-slap smilie made me think. You know that strange effect when you look at a clock and the first tick seems to take sooo much more time then the other ones? Like it's delayed? Same effect with that smilie for me.
Is there a name for it?
Is there a name for it?
Similar threads
- jedishrfu
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 6
- GoldPheonix
- · Replies 6 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 6
- emailanmol
- · Replies 3 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 3
- almarpa
- · Replies 3 ·
- Science and Math Textbooks
- Replies
- 3
- Replies
- 81
- Dishsoap
- · Replies 9 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 9
- Twukwuw
- · Replies 51 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 51
- eyec
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 20