1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's function for a critically damped oscillator

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider critically damped harmonic oscillator, driven by a force F(t)
    Find the green's function G(t,t') such that x(t) = ∫ dt' G(t,t')F(t') from 0 to T solves the equation of motion with x(0) =0 and x(T) =0

2. Relevant equations
    x(t) = ∫ dt' G(t,t')F(t') from 0 to T

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi guys, im completely new to green's function.. need alot of help understanding the use, and how to use it >_<

I've been doing some readings and this is what i understand so far

x = [itex]x _{h}[/itex] + ∫G(t,t')f(t') dt'

i.e. G(t,t') will be the particular solution to the ode with F(t) = δ(t-t')

does this mean that I should let [itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] +2γ[itex]\dot{x}[/itex] + [itex]ω _{0}[/itex]² = δ(t-t') and solve this to get the green's function?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. Except that there's a small typo in your expression. It should be

[tex]\ddot{x} +2\gamma\dot{x} + \omega_{0}^2 x = \delta(t-t^\prime)[/tex]

A nice way to solve the above equation is to write the RHS as the inverse of a Fourier transform, meaning the RHS becomes a harmonic function of time.

4. Sep 10, 2011 #3
    Hello! thanks for you reply! :)

yeah you are right, i missed out the x there

not sure if i got it right but on the RHS, i got [itex]\frac{1}{2\pi}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{i(t-t')}[/itex][itex]e^{i\omega(t-t')}[/itex]+C

is this right?

oh and (d²/dt² + 2γd/dt + ω0²) G(t,t') = δ(t-t')
    so i should be solving as usual 2nd order ode to get my answer for homogeneous and inhomo am i doing the steps right?

5. Sep 10, 2011 #4
    Try taking the Fourier transform of both sides. To makes things simpler, recognize that the dependent of t and t' in G has this form: [itex]G(t, t^\prime) = G(t - t^\prime)[/itex]

6. Sep 10, 2011 #5
    im really bad at fourier transform, so i didnt follow your advice..

but i did try considering the force being written as a fourier transform
    f(t) = 1/2[itex]\pi[/itex]∫F(w)[itex]e^{iwt}[/itex] dw
    and the dirac delta
    δ(t-t')= 1/2[itex]\pi[/itex]∫ [itex]e^{iwt}[/itex][itex]e^{-iwt'}[/itex] dw

so i went ahead to solve and i got that

G(t,t') = [itex]x_{h}[/itex] + 1/2[itex]\pi[/itex] ∫ ([itex]e^{iwt}[/itex][itex]e^{-iwt'}[/itex]) / ([itex]-\omega^{2}[/itex] + 2i[itex]\gamma\omega[/itex] + [itex]\omega_{0}^{2}[/itex]) dw

and im stuck at this integration lol

7. Sep 11, 2011 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The integration is a little tricky. You're going to need to use complex analysis, which I'm assuming you've at least met. Since we are dealing with a critically damped oscillator, we can set [itex]\gamma=1[/itex]. What we're going to do now is extend the integral into the complex plane. Let [itex]C\subset\mathbb{C}[/itex] be a semi-circle in the upper half plane, that is, [itex]C=\{\omega:|\omega|< a, \omega\geq0\}[/itex]. So, we have

[tex]I=\int_C \frac{e^{i\omega(t-t^\prime)}}{-\omega^2 + 2i\omega_0\omega + \omega_0^2}\;\text{d}\omega[/tex]

Can you do the next step, maybe using Cauchy's Residue Theorem?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  8. Sep 11, 2011 #7
    Hmm nope I have never heard of the residue theorem. I tried wiki-ing it to see how it works, but it looks complicated. Is there any other way to do this?

9. Sep 11, 2011 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't immediately see another straightforward method to evaluate the integral. Let me ask a few of the other homework helpers and get back to you.

10. Sep 11, 2011 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The differential equation for the damped harmonic oscillator is usually
    [tex]\ddot{x} + 2\zeta\omega_0 \dot{x} + \omega_0^2x = 0[/tex]There's a factor of [itex]\omega_0[/itex] in the damping term, and with this convention, a critically damped oscillator would correspond to [itex]\zeta=1[/itex], so I think you actually want [itex]\zeta=\omega_0[/itex] here.

11. Sep 11, 2011 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good catch! I didn't notice that :redfaced:

I will correct my earlier posts.

12. Sep 16, 2011 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Another way to find the Green's function is to solve the differential equation in the two regions 0≤t<t' and t'<t≤T. Apply the boundary conditions, and then match the two solutions at t=t'. The Green's function needs to be continuous at the boundary, but its derivative is not. By integrating the differential equation from t'-ε to t'+ε and letting ε→0, you can find the discontinuity in the derivative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook