Greens Function for Hemmholtz using Fourier

In summary, using Fourier Transforms, we can show that the Greens function satisfying the nonhomogeneous Helmholtz equation is given by $G(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})= \frac{1}{{2\pi}^{3}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{ik.r}}{ik(k^2 - k_0^2)} e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})}d^3k$.
ognik
I've gotten myself mixed up here , appreciate some insights ...

Using Fourier Transforms, shows that Greens function satisfying the nonhomogeneous Helmholtz eqtn $ \left(\nabla ^2 +k_0^2 \right) G(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})= -\delta (\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2}) $ is $ G(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})= \frac{1}{{2\pi}^{3}} \int \frac{e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})}}{k^2 - k_0^2} d^3k $

My attempt is: $ \left(\nabla ^2 +k_0^2 \right) G(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})= -\delta (\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2}) $

Taking the Fourier Transform of the LHS, $F\left[ \nabla^2G+k_0^2 G \right] = (- k^2 +k_0^2) \hat{u} $
RHS: $F\left[ -\delta (\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2}) \right] = - \int 1 e^{-i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})} d^3r $

$ \therefore \hat{u} = \int \frac{1}{(k^2 - k_0^2)} e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})} d^3r = \frac{1}{ik(k^2 - k_0^2)} e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})}$

$ \therefore G(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})= F^{-1} \left[\frac{1}{ik(k^2 - k_0^2)} e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})} \right] = \frac{1}{{(2\pi)}^{3}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{ik(k^2 - k_0^2)} e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})} e^{ik.r}d^3k$

Physics news on Phys.org
$= \frac{1}{{2\pi}^{3}} \int \frac{e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})}}{k^2 - k_0^2} d^3k $ Is this correct? Yes, your answer is correct.

First of all, great job on attempting to solve the problem! It's always good to see someone putting in the effort to understand a concept.

Your approach seems to be correct, but there are a few minor mistakes that I noticed. Firstly, in the first step, the Fourier Transform of the LHS should be $(-k^2-k_0^2)\hat{G}$, not just $(-k^2+k_0^2)\hat{u}$. Also, when taking the inverse Fourier Transform, the integration should be over all values of $k$ (from $-\infty$ to $\infty$), not just from 0 to $\infty$. Lastly, in the final expression, the integration should also include a factor of $e^{ik.r}$.

So, the correct expression for $G(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})$ should be:

$G(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})=\frac{1}{{(2\pi)}^{3}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{ik.r}}{ik(k^2 - k_0^2)} e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})}d^3k$

Overall, your approach is correct and all you need to do is fix these minor mistakes. Keep up the good work!

Related to Greens Function for Hemmholtz using Fourier

1. What is the Greens Function for Hemmholtz using Fourier?

The Greens Function for Hemmholtz using Fourier is a mathematical tool used to solve partial differential equations in physics and engineering. It is a generalization of the concept of a Green's function to the case of a continuous spectrum of eigenvalues.

2. How does the Greens Function for Hemmholtz using Fourier work?

The Greens Function for Hemmholtz using Fourier works by decomposing a function into a sum of sinusoidal functions of different frequencies. This allows for the solution of partial differential equations involving the Helmholtz operator, which arises in many physical problems.

3. What are the main applications of the Greens Function for Hemmholtz using Fourier?

The Greens Function for Hemmholtz using Fourier has many applications in physics and engineering, such as solving problems in electromagnetism, acoustics, and heat transfer. It is also used in signal processing, image reconstruction, and quantum mechanics.

4. What are the advantages of using the Greens Function for Hemmholtz using Fourier?

The Greens Function for Hemmholtz using Fourier has several advantages, including its ability to handle problems with irregular boundaries, its efficiency in solving partial differential equations, and its applicability to a wide range of physical problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Greens Function for Hemmholtz using Fourier?

While the Greens Function for Hemmholtz using Fourier is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable to certain types of problems, such as those involving discontinuities or singularities. Additionally, the use of Fourier series may introduce errors due to truncation or round-off.