Green's Theorem well, sort of.

In summary, the problem asks to evaluate the integral of y^2dx + x^2dy for the path C, which is the boundary of the region between the graphs of y=x and y=x^2/4. The catch is that Green's Theorem cannot be used. The solution involves breaking C into two curves, C_1 and C_2, and correctly setting up the integrands for each curve to get the final answer of -32/15.
dtl42

Homework Statement

Evaluate [tex]\displaystyle \int_C y^2dx + x^2dy[/tex] for the path C: the boundary of the region lying between the graphs of [tex]\displaystyle y=x[/tex] and [tex]\displaystyle y=\frac{x^2}{4}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The catch is that you can't use Green's Theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you can break C into two other curves, [tex]C_1:r(t)=t\textbf{i}+t\textbf{j}[/tex] for [tex]0 \leq t \leq 4[/tex] and [tex]C_2:r(t)=(8-t)\textbf{i}+\frac{(8-t)^2}{4}\textbf{j}[/tex] for [tex]4 \leq t \leq 8[/tex].

I believe my error is somewhere below:

[tex]
2\int_{C_1}t^2dt+\frac{-1}{2} \int_{C_2}(8-t)^3((8-t)+1)dt \Rightarrow 2\int_0^4t^2dt+\frac{-1}{2} \int_4^8(8-t)^3((8-t)+1)dt
[/tex]

I get that expression equal to [tex]\frac{-1376}{15}[/tex], which I know is incorrect, as I used Green's Theorem, and got [tex]\frac{32}{15}[/tex] which also coincides with the answer key I have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't your second integrand be something like (8-t)^4/16+(8-t)^3/2? With only a (-1) coefficient outside?

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I had, but I factored it just a little bit in the above expression.

Then you factored it wrong. The integral of 2*t^2 from 0 to 4 minus the integral of (8-t)^4/16+(8-t)^3/2 from 4 to 8 is -32/15.

I realized my mistake, I had been thinking that I needed to get positive 32/15, but it all depends on the direction of the curve, which in my case was clockwise, and is usually taken to be counterclockwise. Is that correct?

Yes, but how did you get -1376/15?

I forgot a factor of 1/8 that should be in the second expression when I factored, thanks for the help!

I thought it was something like that. You set up the problem just fine. Very welcome.

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral around a simple closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is named after the mathematician George Green and is commonly used in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How is Green's Theorem used in real-world applications?

Green's Theorem is used to solve problems involving the calculation of work done by a conservative force, finding the area of a region bounded by a curve, and determining the circulation of a vector field around a closed curve. It has many applications in physics, such as in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, as well as in engineering and economics.

3. Can Green's Theorem be applied to any closed curve?

Green's Theorem can be applied to any simple closed curve, which is a curve that does not intersect itself and encloses a finite area. If the curve is not simple, Green's Theorem can still be used by dividing the curve into smaller simple curves and applying the theorem to each one separately.

4. What is the difference between Green's Theorem and Stokes' Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a special case of Stokes' Theorem, which is a generalization of Green's Theorem to higher dimensions. While Green's Theorem only applies to two-dimensional regions, Stokes' Theorem can be used for calculations in three-dimensional regions. Stokes' Theorem is also more powerful, as it can be applied to more complex curves and regions.

5. Is there a geometric interpretation of Green's Theorem?

Yes, there is a geometric interpretation of Green's Theorem. It states that the line integral of a vector field around a closed curve is equal to the double integral of the curl of the vector field over the region enclosed by the curve. This can be visualized as a flow of fluid through the region, with the line integral representing the flow along the boundary and the double integral representing the total flow within the region.