Factorizing ##F_{ab}(M)## w/ Respect to Grothendieck Group - Lang's Book

• Thread starter xiavatar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, Lang factorizes ##F_{ab}(M)## with respect to the subgroup generated by all elements of type ##[x+y]-[x]-[y]## to create an abelian group ##K(M)## that satisfies the universal property with respect to monoid homomorphisms. This quotient gets rid of all extra elements and ensures that only monoid homomorphisms are preserved, making it a well-defined map. This is necessary because the original group ##F_{ab}(M)## is too big to satisfy the universal property. The fact that everything in this example is abelian simplifies the process.
xiavatar
In Lang's book,page 39-40, he factorizes ##F_{ab}(M)## with respect to the subgroup generated by all elements of type ##[x+y]-[x]-[y]##. I don't quite understand why he does this. I know that he is trying to create inverse elements, but I don't see why that factorization necessarily satisfies the universal property.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are we basically factoring through the commutator of the free group, ##F_{ab}(M)##.

No, [itex] F_{ab}(M) [/itex] is the free abelian group so it has trivial commutator. We want to make the monoid [itex] M [/itex] into an abelian group in a way which is universal, but only with respect to monoid homomorphisms. The simplest choice is to take the free abelian group generated by [itex] M [/itex] itself however this is universal with respect to all set maps from M to an abelian group, not just monoid homomorphisms into an abelian group. The characteristic difference is that for a monoid homomorphism, [itex] f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) [/itex] or equivalently [itex] f(x+y)-f(x)-f(y)=0 [/itex]. So when we quotient out [itex] F_{ab}(M) [/itex] by the subgroup generated by [itex] [x+y]-[x]-[y] [/itex] to get the Grothendieck group [itex] K(M)[/itex], every induced homomorphism from the free group that came from a monoid homomorphism will vanish on this subgroup since [itex] \bar f([x+y]-[x]-[y])=f(x+y)-f(x)-f(y)=0 [/itex] and so yields a well-defined map [itex] f_*:K(M)\to A [/itex]. On the other hand, any set map which is not a monoid homomorphism will not vanish on this subgroup and hence won't be well defined on the quotient. This shows that the quotient is now universal only with respect to the monoid homomorphisms out of [itex] M [/itex] rather than all set maps. So you can think of taking the quotient by this subgroup as throwing away all the induced maps from the free group which came from set maps [itex] g:M\to A [/itex] which were not monoid homomorphisms.

Likes 1 person
Why do we write it as [x+y]-[x]-[y], shouldn't it be [x+y]-[y]-[x] since your adding inverses to the right? Or are we assuming the fact that the representatives are abelian, so we can write [x+y]=[x]+[y]=[y]+[x].

Last edited:
Everything in this example is abelian. The monoid Lang starts out with is commutative, you construct the free abelian group and then take a quotient which is again abelian so everything in sight commutes.

I'm not sure I understand quite what you mean by adding inverses though. Taking the quotient of [itex] F_{ab}(M) [/itex] isn't what creates inverses since [itex] F_{ab} (M) [/itex] is already a group by definition. So every desired inverse is already here before taking a quotient. The reason to take a quotient is that [itex] F_{ab}(M) [/itex] is too big to satisfy the universal property as I explained in my previous post so we take a quotient of it to get rid of all the extra bits we don't need and force it to have the universal property we want.

I was just stating that if ##[x+y]=[x]+[y] \rightarrow [x+y]-[y]=[x]+[y]-[y]=[x]\rightarrow [x+y]-[y]-[x]=0##. But this isn't important since everything were working with is abelian.

I understood the rest of your explanation Terandol. Thanks.

FAQ: Factorizing ##F_{ab}(M)## w/ Respect to Grothendieck Group - Lang's Book

1. What is the Grothendieck group and why is it important in factorization?

The Grothendieck group is a mathematical construction used to classify and organize objects in a category. In the context of factorization, it is important because it allows us to factorize the set of all endomorphisms of a module into simpler "building blocks" known as indecomposable endomorphisms.

2. What does it mean to factorize ##F_{ab}(M)## with respect to the Grothendieck group?

Factorizing ##F_{ab}(M)## with respect to the Grothendieck group means expressing the set of all endomorphisms of a module M as a direct sum of indecomposable endomorphisms, using elements from the Grothendieck group as coefficients.

3. How does Lang's book approach factorization with respect to the Grothendieck group?

In Lang's book, factorization with respect to the Grothendieck group is approached using the theory of modules and direct sums. The book provides a detailed explanation of the concept, along with examples and exercises to help understand the topic.

4. What are some applications of factorizing ##F_{ab}(M)## with respect to the Grothendieck group?

One application is in the study of algebraic structures, as it allows for a more organized and concise representation of endomorphisms. It also has applications in the study of homological algebra, as it provides a useful tool for understanding the structure of modules.

5. Are there any limitations to factorizing ##F_{ab}(M)## with respect to the Grothendieck group?

One limitation is that the Grothendieck group may not always exist, or may be difficult to construct for certain categories. Additionally, factorization with respect to the Grothendieck group may not always be unique, as different choices of coefficients can result in different factorizations.

Back