Ground-state beta decays

In summary, the NNDC website can be used to determine the possible types of ground-state beta decays for elements within the isobaric mass chain A=141, such as beta minus, beta plus, and EC. The nature of these decays, whether they are allowed or first-forbidden, can also be determined through the website. Additionally, the odd number of nucleons in A=141 will affect the possible beta decay modes.
cmyers152

Homework Statement

Consider the isobaric mass chain A=141. Using the NNDC website, determine what types of ground-state beta decays are possible for different elements within this chain (beta minus, beta plus, EC, etc.) as well as the nature (allowed, first-forbidden, etc.)

Homework Equations

https://www.nndc.bnl.gov/

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to even start this and its due at 9am

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the website tell you about A=141 nuclei? What are their masses?
The possibility of beta decay modes is just a matter of conservation of energy. If the decay products have less total mass it is possible, otherwise it is not.

The world has many time zones, by the way.

thanks for the sass and not helping...

I would expect my questions to be very useful as guideline how to find the answer.

mfb said:
I would expect my questions to be very useful as guideline how to find the answer.

Did you not see the "by 9AM" part? Harrumph! :rolleyes:

CMyers, one other hint to keep in mind is that A=141 has an odd number of nucleons. That will give you a different answer than if it had an even number.

1. What is a ground-state beta decay?

A ground-state beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an unstable atomic nucleus emits a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) and transforms into a more stable nucleus. This process occurs when the nucleus has excess energy in its ground state and needs to release it in order to become more stable.

2. How is a ground-state beta decay different from other types of radioactive decay?

Unlike other types of radioactive decay, such as alpha decay and gamma decay, ground-state beta decay involves the transformation of a neutron or proton within the nucleus itself. This results in a change in the atomic number of the nucleus, as well as the release of a beta particle.

3. What is the role of the weak force in ground-state beta decays?

The weak force is responsible for the transformation of a neutron or proton into a different type of particle during a ground-state beta decay. This process involves the exchange of a W or Z boson, which are carriers of the weak force.

4. What are the applications of studying ground-state beta decays?

Studying ground-state beta decays can provide valuable insights into the structure and properties of atomic nuclei. It can also be used to determine the half-life of a radioactive element and to understand the mechanisms of nuclear reactions.

5. Are ground-state beta decays harmful to living organisms?

In general, ground-state beta decays are not considered harmful to living organisms. The beta particles emitted during this process have low penetration power and can be easily shielded. However, exposure to high levels of radiation from any type of radioactive decay can be harmful, so proper precautions should always be taken when working with radioactive materials.