1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group theory : inverse of a map.

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]H[/tex], [tex]K[/tex] be subgroups of a finite group [tex]G[/tex]. Consider the map, [tex]f : H \times K \rightarrow HK : (h,k)\rightarrow hk[/tex]. Describe [tex]f^{-1}(hk)[/tex] in terms of [tex]h[/tex], [tex]k[/tex] and the elements of [tex]H\cap K[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]HK = \{hk : h \in H, k \in K \}[/tex]

[tex]f^{-1}(hk)=\{ (h',k') : f(h',k')=hk \}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I should be able to get somewhere with this but I can't. Can someone give me one or two hints to start me off?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you'd better ask your professor about this and here's why: Based on what you've written, [itex]f[/itex] shouldn't even have an inverse. Here's a simple example to show you what I mean. Let [itex]G=\mathbb{Z}_4[/itex] and let [itex]H=K=<2>[/itex], the subgroup generated by [itex]2\in\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex]. Your map does the following.

[tex]f(0,2)=0\cdot 2 =0[/tex]
    [tex]f(2,0)=2\cdot 0 =0[/tex]

Since [itex]f(0,2)=f(2,0)[/itex] the map is not 1-1 and is therefore not invertible. Something is wrong here.

4. Feb 15, 2009 #3
    Sorry, I shouldn't have written 'inverse' in the title. For this map, [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] is defined as the 'preimage' of the map.

5. Feb 15, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then your problem still makes no sense. You cannot prove anything about "[tex]f^{-1}(hk)[/tex]" because [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] is not defined for individual members of the group, only subsets. Did you mean [tex]f^{-1}(\{hk\})[/tex]?

In the example Tom Mattson gave, [tex]f^{-1}(0)[/tex] is not defined but [tex]f^{-1}(\{0\})= \{(0,2),(2,0)\}[/tex].

6. Feb 17, 2009 #5
    I'm pretty sure that [tex]f^{-1}(a)[/tex] is used as shorthand for [tex]f^{-1}({a})[/tex].

I'm still having trouble doing the question though. I'm sure it's simple but I'm not seeing how to define the set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook