1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphism from group to a product group

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether or not G is isomorphic to the product group HXK.

G=ℂx
    H={unit circle}
    K={Positive real numbers}

2. Relevant equations

Let H and K be subroups of G, and let f:HXK→G be the multiplication map, defined by f(h,k)=hk. Its image is the set HK={hk: h in H, k in K}.

f is an isomorphism from the product group HXK to G iff H intersect K is the identity,HK=G, and also H and K are normal subgroups of G.

3. The attempt at a solution

My actual question is how am I supposed to look at the unit circle?
    I know if I view it as all the points (a,b) on the unit circle then its intersection with K would be the empty set and thus G wouldn't be isomorphic to HXK.

but I have a feeling that is too simple. Am I potentially supposed to view the unit circle as cos(θ)+i*sin(θ) where θ is in ℝ?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Any complex number in ℂx can be represented as re and the reverse holds as well.
    So z → (r,θ) is a bijection.
    If you define the operations in HxK to be regular multiplication, respectively regular addition, you have preservation of the operation, since it literally is the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook