Group Theory Question: Is (Left) Multiplication by g an Isomorphism in G?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ehrenfest
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


true or false:
If G is a group and g is in G. Then (left) multiplication by g is an isomorphism from G to G

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I am pretty sure it is true since ax=b always has a solution if a and b are in group. But can someone just confirm this?

EDIT: sorry, I don't mean isomorphism, I mean bijection
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement


I am pretty sure it is true since ax=b always has a solution if a and b are in group. But can someone just confirm this?

EDIT: sorry, I don't mean isomorphism, I mean bijection

it's true as nate said, but your reason doesn't tell the whole story(it just gives surjectivity). Try to do it directly, for a fixed g in G, define phi:G->G by phi(x) = gx. Now show it's a bijection.
 
gx is in g, and if g1x=g2x then g2inv g1 x = x so g1=g2 so all elements are different, so you can just make couple in your head from every g to every gx.

I passed group theory this monday =D