Understanding Group Theory and its Applications in Quantum Field Theory

In summary, the person is asking for help with a homework problem, and the expert is telling them that they need to show some effort and which questions they have problems with. They are also asked to explain what ##\Gamma^2(g)## is.
EigenJm
No Effort -- Member warned that homework questions must show an attempt.
Homework Statement
I had a set of excercises on grouo theory and these are the two last i cant help to solve . I d be obliged if u couls help me
Relevant Equations
Grouptheory
received_2696368310581633.jpeg
received_3301538156552570.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey , thanks for your answer ! Can I post a better picture maybe ? Because i really don't have time to learn Latex now . My test is on Monday and i am studying qft like a maniac. Thanks in advance .

You may try. But blue has a notoriously bad contrast. Some people don't even try to read photos.
If it's QFT I'll possibly move it back to physics. Depends on whether you're question is more group theory or more field theory.

There is this lesson in pregrad i am attending , that one part is qft and the other is group theory and applications . The questions , are from the second part. I can rewrite it in black if that helps .

EigenJm said:
I can rewrite it in black if that helps .
I'll attach versions below that I've run through contrast enhancement multiple times. They are a bit more readable now, but at least the first page has some cut-off text to the right. Not sure if this helps enough to get you some replies.

MathLight01.jpeg

MathLight02.jpeg

• Love
Likes etotheipi
EigenJm said:
There is this lesson in pregrad i am attending , that one part is qft and the other is group theory and applications . The questions , are from the second part. I can rewrite it in black if that helps .
I'm afraid we are not here to solve your homework for you. You have to show us some efforts and which of the many subquestions you have problems with, preferably in Latex. It isn't that difficult, just a few tags and that's it.

P.S.: And what is ##\Gamma^2(g)##? It looks as if there is quite some calculations to do, e.g. with the character table. What have you done so far?

Last edited:

1. What is Group Theory?

Group Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structure of groups, which are mathematical objects that consist of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to produce a third element.

2. What are the applications of Group Theory?

Group Theory has applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, computer science, and cryptography. It is used to study the symmetries of physical systems, the structure of molecules, and the design of efficient algorithms.

3. What are the basic concepts in Group Theory?

The basic concepts in Group Theory include groups, subgroups, cosets, normal subgroups, and homomorphisms. Groups can be finite or infinite, and they can have different properties such as commutativity and associativity.

4. How is Group Theory related to symmetry?

Group Theory is closely related to symmetry because groups can be used to describe and analyze symmetries in various objects and systems. In fact, the study of symmetry is one of the main applications of Group Theory.

5. How is Group Theory used in chemistry?

In chemistry, Group Theory is used to study the symmetries of molecules and predict their physical and chemical properties. It is also used to classify and analyze the electronic structures of atoms and molecules, which is essential in understanding chemical bonding and reactions.