1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Groups and subgroupd

1. Nov 29, 2005 #1
    Let (G,*) be a group and (S,*) a subgroup of G. Prove that if for an element a in G, there exists m,n in Z, which are relatively prime, such that a^m and a^n is in S, then a is in S.

At the moment, I think the problem is trivial but something just tells me it is not.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2005 #2
    What do you know about relatively prime integers? There's a well-known characterization of them which could be used here.

4. Nov 30, 2005 #3
    So m and n have no common factors?
    Thus if a^m is in S and a^n is in S, a^m share no common divisors with a^n and vice versa so a must be in S?

5. Nov 30, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't make sense to talk about divisors in a group like that. What does it mean to talk about common divisors of two rotations of a polygon?

It isn't that m and n have no common factors: they do, all numbers have common factors, and one called the highest common factor springs to mind.

6. Nov 30, 2005 #5
    Oh... that's what I meant. So if (m,n)=1, then only a could factors both a^n and a^m?

7. Nov 30, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That still doesn't make any sense. Don't think in G or S for now.

If I were to say: let m and n be coprime, then what must your first reaction be? (Don't mention G or S at all, please)

8. Nov 30, 2005 #7
    Then the greatest common divisor for m and n is 1.

9. Nov 30, 2005 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, obviously, since that is the definition of coprime, but what can you deduce from that (still ignoring G and S)? You have done Euclid's Algorithm?

10. Nov 30, 2005 #9
    Yes, I've done Euclid's algorithm. So it states that dividing m and n over and over until there's a remainder that cannot be factored again will be the greatest common divisor. But since m and n are relatively prime, then I could find integers, p and q, such that mp + nq = 1?

11. Nov 30, 2005 #10

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, and now what can you do with those when we allow ourselves to think about G and S and in particular a?

12. Nov 30, 2005 #11
    Oh... I think I get it. Am I supposed to think in terms of a^mp + a^nq = a^1?

13. Nov 30, 2005 #12

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you can't add elements of the group like that. remember that multiplication of powers of an object adds the indices, ie (x^r)(x^s)=x^(r+s)

14. Nov 30, 2005 #13
    So... if a^m is in S and a^n is in S, then neccessarily (a^m)(a^n) is in S which is equal to a^(m+n)?

15. Nov 30, 2005 #14

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, that is certainly true, but if x is in S, then x^p is also in S, isn't it, since S is a subgroup. I haven't picked p at random, and y^q would also be suggestively useful.

16. Nov 30, 2005 #15
    Wow, thanks for all your help Matt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?