1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guidance on choosing electrical or mechanical engineer

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    I seem to be at a stalemate.

I have an interest in the workings of all things, I enjoy getting my hands dirty and getting hands-on with my job and designing new things which mechanical engineering gives more opportunity for (I understand somewhat that they have other people to do that for them.), yet electrical engineering allows me to tinker with electronics which I have somewhat delved in and have enjoyed it to quite an extent.

I am trying to figure out which field to pursue, both mechanical and electrical engineering have qualities that peak my interests but I feel as if i cannot go without one or the other. I believe having a conversation or an informational briefing on both fields would greatly benefit my decision.

Anything that can be provided would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2
    Not all that many people tinker with electronics at work anymore. Increasingly the functionality is getting subsumed into ICs and FPGAs and a lot of product design is migrating offshore (I'm assuming you're American). There is still PCB design in the States but it is becoming less relevant.

If you like programming, though, EE can be fantastic. That's where the value is added these days.

4. Mar 26, 2013 #3
    I picked ME bc I believe applied mechanics to me the most spectacular application of math. I like ME bc I have some natural intuition for problems I encounter. Either is a good choice, both have great career prospects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook