(h,k) of circle given D from parabola

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the center of a circle inscribed in a parabola. The equation of the circle is x^2 + (y-y_0)^2 = 1, with the center on the y-axis. The goal is to find points of intersection between the parabola and the circle, using implicit differentiation and setting the gradients of the tangent lines equal to each other. The use of gradient here refers to dy/dx, not the vector field concept.
fedaykin
I'm studying up for calculus I this fall, and I found a problem I can't solve.

The figure (shown in attachment) shows a circle with radius 1 inscribed in the parabola y=x^2. Find the center of the circle.

So far, I have no idea. I could use the derivative to find a tangent line, then set the two distances equal to each other and solve for y, but I have no idea at what point the circle is tanget, or even if it is (at least with an analytic proof). Since I don't have the circles equation, I can't solve for points common to both equations.

Attachments

• circle.JPG
    circle.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation of the circle is [tex]x^2 + (y-y_0)^2 = 1[/tex]. You can see that the centre of the circle is on the y-axis, meaning to say it's x-coordinate is zero y0 is the y-coordinate of the centre.

Where y=x^2 and the circle intersect, the gradient of the tangent line passing through the points of intersection are the same. dy/dx for both the parabola and the circle through these points are the same for some values of y1,x1. You also know that you to find where the curve and the circle intersect, you only need relate the equation of the circle with that of the parabola.

When you mention gradient, I hope you're not referring to that vector field stuff referred to by the link. It will quite some time before I'm capable of understanding that.

Oy, nevermind, I'll read up on implicit derivation. It took me a while to understand that.
Thank you very very much.

Last edited:
No, that has nothing to do with grad. Gradient here just refers to dy/dx. And, yeah, while implicit differentiation is not necessary, it does help a lot here.

1. What is the relationship between the center of a circle and the vertex of a parabola?

The center of a circle, denoted by (h,k), and the vertex of a parabola, denoted by (h,k), have the same h-value. This means that the x-coordinate of the center of the circle is the same as the x-coordinate of the vertex of the parabola.

2. How do you find the coordinates of the center of a circle given the equation of a parabola?

To find the coordinates of the center of a circle given the equation of a parabola, first identify the h-value of the parabola's vertex. Then, the center of the circle will also have an h-value of the same value. Next, substitute the h-value into the equation of the parabola to solve for the k-value. The coordinates of the center of the circle will be (h,k).

3. Can the distance between the circle and parabola be used to determine the radius of the circle?

Yes, the distance between the circle and parabola can be used to determine the radius of the circle. The distance between the two will be equal to the radius of the circle. This can then be used to find the equation of the circle.

4. How does the distance between the circle and parabola affect the shape of the circle?

The distance between the circle and parabola does not affect the shape of the circle. The shape of the circle is determined by the equation of the circle, which is independent of the parabola. However, the distance between the two may affect the positioning of the circle in relation to the parabola.

5. Is there a specific formula for finding the coordinates of the center of a circle given the distance from a parabola?

There is no specific formula for finding the coordinates of the center of a circle given the distance from a parabola. However, you can use the formula for the distance between a point and a line to find the coordinates of the center of the circle. Substitute the values for the distance and the coordinates of the parabola's vertex into the formula and solve for the coordinates of the center of the circle.