1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

H2+ molecular ion overlap tunneling matrix element dependence on p+-p+ separation

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Knowing that the wave function of the hydrogen atom is proportional to e-r/a0, estimate how t depends on the proton proton separation d. I need just to make a drawing of the integrand and make a reasonal approximation using my intuition (no numerical methods allowed to calculat the integral.)

2. Relevant equations

t is the overlap tunneling matrix element, with t= - <L|VL|R>

with
    L= 1s- wavefunction centered on the left proton = psi1s(L-r)
    R= 1s- wavefunction centered on the right proton = psi1s(R-r)
    ( L or R is the position of the left or right proton, r is the position of the electron)

VL= the attractive potential of the left proton on the electron= V(L-r)

3. The attempt at a solution

I just want to know whether my solution would be sufficient to this question, or whether I would need to do some more reasoning/ calculus/ plotting of functions.

t= - <e-(L-r)/a0 | -e2/ (4*pi*e0*(L-r)) | e-(R-r)/a0>
    = e2/ (4*pi*e0) * (integral taken over dr) (1/(L-r)) * e-(L-r)/a0 -(R-r)/a0

as d= | L-R |
    R= L-d

so plugging that into the above equation for t gives:

t= = e2/ (4*pi*e0) * (integral taken over dr) (1/(L-r)) * e(-L+r)/a0 (-L+d +r)/a0>

When d decreases, the exponent of e gets larger , therefore t gets larger too. When d increases, the exponent of e gets smaller, therefore t gets smaller too.

Is this it? I mean, the question said I needed to draw something and use my intuition, which I obviously did not do to solve this problem, this is just reasoning. What do I need to add?

E.g. do I need to be more specific on the dependency other than 'getting bigger/ getting smaller', but say 'it behaves like an exponentially increasing function/ like a parabolic function etc'?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2
    Please, help me, I keep getting stuck on this and the question is due tomorrow.

Now I have the primitive function as the one in the attachment (with x for 'r', l for 'L' and r for 'R'). I don't know how to go further...

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook