Is the infamous HAL 9000 really up for sale on eBay for $150,000?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a listing on eBay for a Cinerama 160 degree Fairchild-Curtis lens being sold for $150,000. One person mentions the famous movie scene where a computer named Hal is asked to open a pod bay door, while another person jokes about the lens being just a brainless object. Ultimately, no one in the conversation is interested in purchasing the lens due to its high price and questionable value.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"I'm sorry Dave - I can't do that ..."

http://p2pnet.net/story/2495
http://www.engadget.com/entry/8784670691380992/

Starting bid: US $150,000.00

Time left: 3 days 23 hours
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=153&item=3840166200&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Open the pod bay door, Hal." One of the most spine-chilling scenes in film history.

I would not trust this device...

Besides, isn't it quite enough for you to be monitored by my own eye?

You need to replace that eye with a Cinerama 160 degree Fairchild-Curtis lens for only $150,000.

Funny, I always thought there was a brain behind that lens. Who knew? Hal is just a lens. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
You need to replace that eye with a Cinerama 160 degree Fairchild-Curtis lens for only $150,000.
I'll check into it.
Funny, I always thought there was a brain behind that lens. Who knew? Hal is just a lens. :biggrin:
Say, Hal and I have something in common after all ! :biggrin:

like hell I'm going to buy that hunk of junk, the person who does really has a lot of money burning a hole in his pocket and/or is a geek beyond measures

1. What is HAL 9000?

HAL 9000 is a fictional artificial intelligence computer system featured in the novel and film "2001: A Space Odyssey".

2. Is the HAL 9000 for sale on eBay a functional AI system?

No, the HAL 9000 for sale on eBay is most likely a replica or prop created by a fan or collector. It is not a functioning AI system.

3. How much does the HAL 9000 for sale on eBay typically cost?

The cost of the HAL 9000 for sale on eBay can vary greatly depending on the seller and the condition of the item. It can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.

4. Can the HAL 9000 for sale on eBay be used for research or scientific purposes?

No, as mentioned before, the HAL 9000 for sale on eBay is most likely a replica or prop and is not a functioning AI system. It cannot be used for research or scientific purposes.

5. Are there any legitimate HAL 9000 systems for sale?

No, there are no legitimate HAL 9000 systems for sale as it is a fictional technology. Any items claiming to be a functioning HAL 9000 are not real and should be approached with caution.