1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half wave antenna

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    Vector Potential

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider two half wave antennas each ahving current

[tex] I(z,t)=\hat{z} I_{0}\cos\omega t\sin k(\frac{d}{2}-|z|) [/tex]
    where [itex] k=\omega/c[/itex]
    Each antenna has length d and points in the z direction. Antenna 1 is at [itex] (\Delta/2,0,0)[/itex] and antenna two is at [itex](-\Delta/2,0,0)[/itex]

a) Find the vector potential A
    b) Find the electric and magnetic field
    c) Find [tex] dP/d\Omega[/tex]
    d) Evalute [tex] dP/d\Omega [/tex] in the X Y plane when the antenna is seaparated by a distance lambda/2. Along what direction is the radiation preferentialy propagated?

2. Relevant equations
    In CGS units so...
    [tex] \vec{A}(\vec{r},t)=\frac{1}{c}\int \frac{\vec{J}(\vec{r},t_{r})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|} d\tau [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So we need the current as a function of z' and the retarded time

[tex]I(z,t)=\hat{z} I_{0}\cos\omega t\sin k(\frac{d}{2}-|z|) [/tex]
    [tex]I(z,t)=\hat{z} I_{0}\cos\omega (t-\frac{\mathcal{R}}{c})\sin k(\frac{d}{2}-|z|) [/tex]

where [tex]\mathcal{R}=\sqrt{z'^2+r^2-2z'r\cos\theta}[/tex]
    since we want the fields far away (radiation zone), expand
    [tex]\mathcal{R}\approx r\left(1-\frac{z'}{r}\cos\theta[/tex]
    so then
    [tex] \cos\omega (t-\frac{\mathcal{R}}{c})\approx\cos\omega\left(t-\frac{r}{c}\left(1-\frac{z'}{r}\cos\theta\right)\right)[/tex]
    [tex] \cos\omega (t-\frac{\mathcal{R}}{c})\approx\cos\omega t \cos\frac{r}{c}\left(1-\frac{z'}{r}\cos\theta\right)+\sin\omega t\sin\frac{r}{c}\left(1-\frac{z'}{r}\cos\theta\right)[/tex]

So then A is calculated like this? make the approximation that [tex] \mathcal{R}\approx r [/tex]

[tex] \vec{A} = \hat{z}\frac{I_{0}}{rc}\int \sin k\left(\frac{d}{2}-|z|\right)\left(\cos\omega (t-\frac{\mathcal{R}}{c})\left(\cos\omega t \cos\frac{r}{c}\left(1-\frac{z'}{r}\cos\theta\right)+\sin\omega t\sin\frac{r}{c}\left(1-\frac{z'}{r}\cos\theta\right)\right) dz'[/tex]

Ok since there are two antennas how should the integration be performed...
    should i do for each antenna separately? That is integrate one of them from [itex]\Delta[/itex] to [itex]\Delta+\frac{d}{2}[/itex] and one of them from [itex]\Delta[/itex] to [itex]\Delta-\frac{d}{2}[/itex] ?? And then add the two results?

Thanks for your help!!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

clem

Science Advisor

Since it is a radiation problem, I think you are allowed to assume r>>r' and
    kr>>1, which greatly simplifies the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?