Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Half wave dipole antenna physics

1. Apr 2, 2017 #1
    First time poster long time reader.

If i have a half wave dipole antenna with a certain length and im using a VCO to drive that antenna at lower driving frequency do i get EM at the length of twice the length of the antenna but just at a slower emission rate?

example, if i have a half wave dipole antenna measuring 6.25cm and im using a VCO to drive that antenna at only 1ghz where i should be using 2.4ghz, will that antenna still emit EM at 2.4ghz but at a rate of 1ghz?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2017 #2
    The antenna only radiates the frequency of the VCO. If it is of the "wrong" length, then efficiency is reduced, but frequency is unaltered.

4. Apr 2, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The EM wave is always radiated/emitted at the speed of light

As tech99 said the emission will be poor
    This is because the antenna isn't resonant for the 1 GHz frequency from the VCO

5. Apr 2, 2017 #4
    i think you miss understand what i meant by emission rate, each cycle back and forward of electron movement creates EM, now if the driving frequency was 2GHz then emission rate would be 2GHz. The distance an electron travels before its return trip directly corresponds to the wavelength of EM you get. but if that distance is restricted by length of the material, so it doesnt travel far enough how do you still get the same wavelength as the driving frequency?

6. Apr 2, 2017 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

forget about the term emission rate ... isn't a term used for RF and antennas .... use frequency
    The RF signal is emitted at the speed of light regardless of its frequency

no, the electrons just oscillate about a point at the given frequency. The distance they move at 2GHz is nigh microscopic in length

that has already been answered above by tech99 and myself

BTW this thread shouldn't be labelled A for advanced, when you don't even have an understanding of the basics

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted