Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hall Effect Probe/Sample Mount (Design)

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    Me and a friend are working on a research project that involves four-point electrical measurements. (Van der pauw) To do a hall effect measurement, the sample and probes have to have a strong magnetic field pass through. So we want some design ideas on constructing the mount that will have to be suspended in a magnetic field and cause minimal interference. (Maybe some schematic pics would help or design concepts.)

The samples we will be using are thin films. (Less than a cm^2)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2
    What magnetic field range do you need to measure? Bipolar or unipolar? Do you have preference on package (e.g., flying leads vs. DIP)?

4. Jun 18, 2009 #3
    I'm sorry I should have said Hall voltage measurement. We will know the value of the B-field and will be solving for the sheet carrier density. Our magnet range is around .5-1.5 Tesla. Most of our work will probably be around .5-1 Tesla.
    The outline we are following is here: http://www.eeel.nist.gov/812/effe.htm [Broken] We will measure the Hall voltage and then change the direction of the B-field and measure again so bipolar I guess. We are using flying leads for our resistivity measurements so that would be preferred.

Here is the setup NIST is using:
    http://www.eeel.nist.gov/812/images/hlleffct.jpg [Broken]
    We are trying to construct a similar setup.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jun 18, 2009 #4
    The Hall signal amplifier I believe you need is two voltage followers to give very high input impedance followed by a balanced amplifier, shown here (see attachment) with a gain of 10. R1 and R2 should always be equal, and R3 and R4 should also be equal. R3 and R4 can be increased or decreased to change gain.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook